Got A New Litter Today! - New Pics of litter in Reply #17

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Newest pics of litter at 4 weeks are in reply #17.

Pics of the litter are posted in reply #12.

My NZW doe kindled today. Eight healthy, wriggly kits. Sire is a NZR. All the kits are chocolate colored, with a reddish pink underbelly. Excited to see if they'll be red like daddy or if a black gene in there somewhere is coming out. Will post some pics after a few days.

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
No batteries for the camera at present. :(

All kits are thriving, doe is doing great. My impression is that the kits are all going to be black. Bummer...I was really hoping for a few reds as well.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Sorry about the batteries. And sorry no reds.

But truly glad to hear the kits are thriving.

Would still like to see them though. :)

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If they are meat rabbits, why are you concerned about the color? Do you sell some as breeding stock or show animals?

Just wondering.

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
sawfish99 said:
If they are meat rabbits, why are you concerned about the color? Do you sell some as breeding stock or show animals?

Just wondering.
Fair question. I'm not concerned about color, just interested in it. I really like the color of red NZ. I thought it would be fun to have some reds running around, even thought their ultimate destination is my freezer (possibly saving one doe for a replacement). I'm realizing that I love the NZ breed, but find only having white rabbits to be a bit boring. :)

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
sawfish99 said:
OK thanks. That's pretty much why DW doesn't want Californias.
I find it makes it easier not to get attached to any one particular rabbit if they are all the same color....that being said, my current herd of Cal's has a chocolate Cal that I am just crazy over! LOL I want to try to get more chocolates from her if I can. It is such a pretty variation on Cal coloring. In Europe, they recognize Black, Blue, Chocolate and Lilac varieties of Cal, but ARBA only recognizes Black.

Shannon

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I haven't tried my hand at tanning yet but I can see how having different colored rabbits could make a real-perty fur quilt!