ground suitable for rooting?

dottysfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi, I am not sure what topic to post this under so hopefully it is in the right place.

I have been planning to get pigs to raise this summer. I will be raising them outdoors. I have found a supplier and am supposed to call him in a couple weeks to pick up my piglets...

However, two nights ago I was laying in bed and thought about the ground around the place I live and remembered all the stuff we dug out of the ground as we tilled for my gardens. I found lots of thick, old broken glass, like maybe old gallon jugs or canning jars...

What does this mean for my future piggies?

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would worry that they would get cut on it if there is alot of it and what's coming up is sharp. Pigs love to roll, and root in the dirt. Just stepping on a shard of glass sticking up could do alot of damage to a foot. If it is just a peice here and there and it's been in the ground along time not as much to worry about I'd say, We have such an area here but I have horses on it, some gets dug up but it's mostly pottery and melted old nails and some burned glass peices that are not really sharp(old house fire). It's in an upper corner of a paddock and we look it over often picking up anything we wee with a magnet or visually. After 20 yrs we are not seeing much anymore. Horses have never picked up a nail or gotten cut but we may have been lucky. Everything is kindof melted so I haven't really seen much sharp stuff. If it was sharp I wouldn't have used the area.

Latest posts