Guersney cow - Bottle feeding calf?

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello, my friend is going to get a guersney cow next year. Shes planning on breeding her, eating the bull calf (making it a steer, of course) or if its a heifer,keeping it as a company cow. So anyways, she wants it super friendly, and is going to bottle feed her.
So my question is if she bottle feeds the calf she'd have to bring outside, but seperate from its mum. Of course she'd let it get colostrum when its first born, but how hard would it be switching to to a bottle? And what age (1 hour, 2 hours, 1 day, etc, yadda, lol)?
Shes sure she wants it bottlefed even if it doesn't *need* it.

Thanks, I'm asking for her because shes not joined.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
That really isn't all that odd. Our dairies leave calves on for a couple hours to a day and then bottle feed the rest of the time. I'ld give it least a day or two to make sure it has a good start .It really depends on the calf as to how hard it will be some take to it easy while others can be a bit of a pain.

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
BrownSheep said:
That really isn't all that odd. Our dairies leave calves on for a couple hours to a day and then bottle feed the rest of the time. I'ld give it least a day or two to make sure it has a good start .It really depends on the calf as to how hard it will be some take to it easy while others can be a bit of a pain.

She also said that if I want I could ride it, lol. My sister had a pet cow(well my grandmas cow, my family used to live with them) she rode, she was about the same weight so maybe I'll ride a cow next year, lol.

redtailgal

Reaction score
I would leave the calf on the mother for at least 24 hours but no longer than 48 hours.

H ave her get a good unmedicated non soy milk replacer, if she cannot get raw cow's milk for the calf.

The best way to switch to replacer is to mix it with cow's milk, increasing the replacer a little each day

She needs to plan on halter and lead training as soon as the calf is taken off the mother.

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
I would leave the calf on the mother for at least 24 hours but no longer than 48 hours.

H ave her get a good unmedicated non soy milk replacer, if she cannot get raw cow's milk for the calf.

The best way to switch to replacer is to mix it with cow's milk, increasing the replacer a little each day

She needs to plan on halter and lead training as soon as the calf is taken off the mother.
OK... passing on info.