Hay Feeder Suggestions Wanted!

vt_mountainman

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I know there are many feeders and methods of feeding hay to sheep, but I need some suggestions based on your experiences. I am in northern Vermont, on an open exposed hillside at a higher elevation. We typically get a lot of snow along with frequent wet, nasty, and very windy weather at my location. I only have a few sheep, and will be feeding them regular sized 40-50 lb. bales. I am considering constructing the single-sided "Build Your Own Feeder" from Premier1. Have any of you used those? Should I feed them hay outside or inside their little barn? What other hay feeding methods or feeders works (or hasn't worked!) well for you?

I have found this forum to be very friendly and helpful, and am looking forward to hearing your suggestions for cold weather feeding!

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
We've used the Premier feeders for years. They work well and limit the hay waste.

I would prefer to feed our sheep under cover, but we don't have the space to do that. If you have the space to feed then in the barn/shed, that's what I'd do.

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I fed mine all last spring in the barn. Then come warm weather I spent days cleaning out the yucky barn.
I'd love to have a no sided building or maybe 1 sided building that had just a roof to cover the round bales that we feed. This is the year I promised myself I would buy a hay feeder rather than waste half the bales like before.

But given a choice I wouldn't feed mine in a barn. It's much healthier to have them outside instead of breathing ammonia smells in the barn.

I live in MO it can and does get nasty but I've found over the years I'd rather even lamb outside if it's not storming or terribly wet. Then I bring the new lambs and momma's down to the barn for a day or 2 just to make sure they're doing well.

Same reason, it's healthier outside if weather is at all possible. We've lambed in snow, rain and all sorts of weather. It's drafts that will kill a young lamb not the cold. Unless Momma isn't doing their job of cleaning them up. Which can sometimes happen with new moms and twins.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
We built a three sided hay shed with a long over hang on the roof to keep the sheep drier in rain...had lots of metal roofing, so used that for the back and sides, being careful to allow air in too...then used a long cattle panel in the front and that makes for less wasted hay...it holds four large round bales...not sure if that would work with square bales though? :idunno

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Try My Tupperware Feeder. Since sheep are taller than my ND's could maybe use a large trash can?

8192_feeder_1.jpg

8192_feeder_2.jpg

8192_feeder_3.jpg

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use the cattle feeders for the round bales, but I turn the feeders upsidedown. For squares, I use the empty water cages! I don't worry about a cover for the feed cause it gets eated in 1-2 days anyway!

vt_mountainman

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score

vt_mountainman

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Great suggestions everyone! I am considering using the Premier1 feeder most of the time, but also putting a small wire feeding rack on the wall of their shelter for use on those bad weather days. I must admit that I'm intrigued by the cost and functionality of OneFineAcre's tupperware feeder though!

snowk

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh WOW! We have sheds in the pasture and so do not have room for a feeder. (also, I am pretty sure that my calf got her tongue stuck to the hanging metal horse feeder we have when it got cold last week.) This would keep my sheep from digging under the hay and pushing it all out on the ground. I can build a short set of legs to put the box on and voila! I have used these for cleaning out coops and barns, for brooders, for small critter carriers... now I will use them for feeders.

8192_feeder_1.jpg

8192_feeder_2.jpg

8192_feeder_3.jpg
[/quote]