Hay

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
As I am sure you of tired of hearing me say, everything here in Belize is difficult to get hold of. Last week we did about 300 mile trip just to get 3 bales of hay.

The hay is just grass hay, but it is in good condition, smells lovely, the smell even tempts me to have a go, but my goats no!, I am sure I have got the pickiest goats in the world.:lol:

They eat a little of it, I have it on the wall of their shed in a makeshift hay basket, but no they really don't want to know.

I have seen enought hay in my life, having spent a lot of my younger years around horse to know that this hay is not spoiled in any way.

Are these goats just making "a monkey" of me?:he

Anyone had any similar experiences.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
If they are getting enough browse, they may not be interested. They are a picky critter, though. Can you get alfalfa there? Or something unusual (to me, at least) like pea hay or peanut hay? Leafy?

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
*shrug* We had a bunch of old small squares hanging around that were all still relatively green that any normal horse would eat, but not Luna... nope, miss picky wouldn't touch them! So when our neighbour came to cut and bale the alfalfa for his cows, we said he could have it for the cows, and he jumped on it, he was so happy to get 90 bales of hay for the cows. Of course, that will only last him one day :)

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes, they are being brats on purpose!! They know they can walk all over ya!! (mine are that awful):lol:
No,.. with anything new, they will act like it is the plague at first. If you give them time, they will eat it. You can fluff it up and turn it about 2 times a day just to let them know you approve....

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
oh man... yep crazy goats. we even paid a premium one time for the most lush, green, lovely hay --- and those silly goats wanted the older dried up stuff that we were almost out of!

grgrgrrgrrrrrrghhhghghhghgh!

on a funny note - when we went to get it out of this guy's barn, then went to his house to pay i was trying to be friendly and complementary and said:

wow that hay is so lovely i might just eat it myself! (big smile here)

he just looked at me like i had lobsters growing out of my ears and proceeded to tell me just why i COULDNT eat hay.

(eye roll) ok here's your money thanks.

and he thought I was a weirdo!!!

(shrug)

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:lol: I buy from the same farmer generally and we joke about just like that, my husband will say it's good enough to eat too (smile). We love to visit our hay guy.
I bought hay down the road this spring from someone new and I honestly NEVER heard the end of it.

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies, I had this strong feeling they were just being stubborn, silly goats.:D

I will do as suggested and just keep fluffing it up several times a day, I too can be stubborn, maybe it just going to be a battle of wills::lol: