Hello from FL!

cinnamongirl

Just born
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've been researching pygmy goats for awhile now and decided to get a little girl and boy. I'm leaving them with their mother til they are 5 weeks old at which time the lady I've purchased them from assures me they should be eating well. In the meantime, I've been to a million more websites before this trying to make sure I'm completely prepared for their arrival. Since I've just been googling, I've found tons of helpful and not-so-helpful info and then I found myself on a site that looked very familiar and was extremely helpful. Lo and behold....backyardherds! Backyardchickens was a priceless resource when we started with chickens (3 years ago?) and I can't believe I forgot that this site was here too! :weee

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
:welcome from New Jersey

Lots of Good Goat People here. From Big farms to a few goats. You will get LOTS of information.

Wishing you all the luck with your new pygmy goats.

K

KellyHM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:welcome

If they're nursing I would make sure they're eating well enough. We usually don't wean until 6-8 weeks because they're still so reliant on mama at that time. Good luck! We expect pictures when you get them!

cinnamongirl

Just born
Reaction score
SmallFarmGirl said:
So your getting a wether and a doe? Sounds wonderful!
Not quite...my boy is intact. Just posted about it under behaviors because I had questions about that too.

KellyHM said:
If they're nursing I would make sure they're eating well enough. We usually don't wean until 6-8 weeks because they're still so reliant on mama at that time. Good luck! We expect pictures when you get them!
Worried about that too. How do I make sure they are eating well other that just taking her word for it? She seems to truly care for her animals and everyone looked clean and happy and healthy on my unexpected visit. And as for pictures...hehe I've got some of those already!
They both have funny markings which I didn't discover until after they were chosen.
Here's the little guy...note the Nike swoosh on his head and back leg lol

5874_goatsturkeysjan12_036.jpg

5874_goatsturkeysjan12_035.jpg

5874_goatsturkeysjan12_024.jpg

And the little girl... she's wearing a watch or a bracelet and perfect black lipstick with a black dot right in the center of her nose

5874_goatsjan_008.jpg

5874_goatsjan_007.jpg

5874_goatsjan_005.jpg

And everyone thank you so much for your help! Please don't be afraid to tell me anything that seems too basic! I will not be offended and I'm so afraid I'll never know enough!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I really really wouldn't recommend full weaning at 5 weeks. 8 weeks is the earliest. I purchased one in Nov 2010 that was weaned super early (5 wks) and his growth was affected by it. Development was behind as well. He's just now catching up.

:welcome

Latest posts