Hello

farmeroak

Just born
Reaction score
I am from Louisiana and a new pig farmer. I have a 3 month old Yorkshire she is in good health. but I do have a question. she lets me rub her but is a little skittish. I give her a lil treat to win her over. But lately she is biting on my arm so I tapped her on the nose and said no. I don't think she is being mean because she is also biting on her house, the hose when it is in her pen, and the brush handle when I was brushing her. It was like playing tug and war with a dog. Does she want a chew toy are is she telling me something. Someone please explain. Thanks, Farmeroak

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've raised a few pigs - but certainly not enough to be an expert. Every pig I've had has been very 'oral' and liked to chew on everything! I would definitely stop her from chewing on you though...she's going to do nothing but get bigger and stronger and you don't want her thinking that you are her chew toy!

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH!!!! :frow
Yes, pigs are very smart creatures!! Make sure she knows it is not ok to chew or nibble on you! You will be amazed how fast they learn!!

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
:frowWelcome to BYH! I don't have pigs, so no help from me...but as a kid on a farm with pigs and being bitten hard by adult pigs...I'd stop that right now!

farmeroak

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I also just bought a pig about a year and three months old. She had her first litter about nine weeks ago. She is a little skinny. This is the first day I got her I feed her well corn mash and sow pellets. This afternoon I noticed her eating her excrement. Is she sick. Any help.

Support

True BYH Addict
Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH @farmeroak. I'm sure you'll have answers to your questions in no time. Hope you enjoy your stay here.