Help!

FarmerBoy24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a 2 yr old Nubian doe who has 3 kids. they are 4-6 months old. Well we were told we can milk her a little bit, so I noticed yesterday morning while I was milking her she like sucked in A lot! around her hips, it seemed like when we suck in a lot of air and we get skinner, yea thats what it looked like, but she's ok today. What was this? Why?

Thanks

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Just while you were milking? Maybe she was going, "OOO! Not another kid!!! That feels strange!" Is she still supporting the kids? She may have been at a point in the day when she needed to fill up her rumen again, too. Sometimes my does, especially the Alpine who is lactating and produces a lot, will suddenly look thin and then a few hours later, as wide as a tank. The rumen will do that throughout the day as the gasses come and go and the food level goes up and down. It is more pronounced on the knobbier dairy types. I don't see it as much on my pygmies or Boer crosses.

FarmerBoy24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yea shes PERFECTLY fine with the kids.

When will the stop nursing from her?

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
As long as she lets them. If you want to milk her, you might pen them up (or her) in a stall after evening feed, then milk her first thing before letting her back out with them for the day. That will start the weaning process and also give you some milk. I do this at three weeks of age. Some start at two weeks old. Once they are eating some hay they can go without milk for a few hours. Yours will be just fine.

She is likely getting a bit thin, nursing three big kids. Some does just won't wean and you need to take over and take care of business. But unless she is pregnant, that doesn't have to happen tomorrow. Try the night separation and enjoy the morning milking until you get used to it, then you can just keep them separate and continue to milk her once a day, or go to twice a day if you prefer.

FarmerBoy24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am separating them at night. Then the next morning I milk her. I have been milking her like that for about 1-2 months. I want to know how old do they have to be until there weaned? Like can I milk her as much as I can? The babies are 4-6 months old.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
They are old enough by four months, although many people wean by two months, I prefer to go a bit longer. So I bet everyone here would agree that you are good to go....wean them without worry!

Um....not to be rude or anything....are there boys and are they "fixed?" Just asking because lots of people don't realize how early they can actually breed, although it is not good for the girls at all, the boys can be quite precocious. They will breed their moms and their sisters.

Meanwhile, enjoy the flood of milk you should be getting once they are fully separated!

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering about boys also, If there are boys, I would either whether them, or get them seperated by 12 weeks. We wean ours at 6 to 8 weeks, and put them on a creep feed, Two feedings a day all they will eat in around a 20 minute feeding, plus free-choice good quality mixed grass hay. Creep feed needs to have Ammonia Chloride in it if you have males.

FarmerBoy24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
No it's a triplet of girls!! :thumbsup When will the be ready to breed?
freemotion said:
They are old enough by four months, although many people wean by two months, I prefer to go a bit longer. So I bet everyone here would agree that you are good to go....wean them without worry!

Um....not to be rude or anything....are there boys and are they "fixed?" Just asking because lots of people don't realize how early they can actually breed, although it is not good for the girls at all, the boys can be quite precocious. They will breed their moms and their sisters.

Meanwhile, enjoy the flood of milk you should be getting once they are fully separated!

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:bow

Tell me this wasn't her first freshening!

ETA - most people wait until the doelings are about a year of age. Some go by the 70-80lb rule; once they hit that mark they're good to breed. If they're all 4-6 mos old, I'd say they'd definitely be old enough to breed this coming fall - assuming they're all in good condition.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
All girls!!! Thats awesome!!!!! Good for you!!!

I would'nt worry about her belly sucking in too much...as stated..she probally needs to fill her rumen with hay/feed. They also suck in with breathing in heavy...so if it did not stay in...I wouldnt worry too much about it!

And I personally would consider weaning them at this age..but thats up to you..they are "of age" !!

Are they eating grain and hay on their own regularly? If so..then I would wean...IMO