Hi from NYC soon to be upstate NY

Paddock Jack

Just born
Reaction score
I have started to work on my homestead last year in upstate NY. Got a basic structure up last year to live in, but not much in the way of farming or livestock. This year I am really looking forward to getting started with both. I am very interested in raising many different animals on my land, which is approximately 13 acres of open pasture and another 12 in woods for about 25 total acres. I am especially interested in sheep and rabbits (my neighbor upstate actually raises sheep, only met him once so far though). Looking forward to great advice from you guys and gals on here. Thanks.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. I bet you're pretty excited to get started on your "homestead" journey! Sounds like a pretty decent sized property to start with and get up and rolling. Upstate NY can get pretty sketchy in the winter depending on where you're located. But rabbits should be bale to handle it quite well as long as you can keep them out of the wind. Sheep should be OK as well. Are you looking at wool breeds or hair breeds? Milk? meat? multi purpose cross breeds? We have a great group of active Rabbiteers & Sheeple here on the site so if you have questions, you should find plenty of help. There's quite a bit of really good info already shared in the various threads. Please make yourself at home and browse around.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio, and good luck with your plans. What kind of sheep were you thinking of getting? Will you be living on the homestead year round soon?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! I have Katahdin/Dorper cross sheep and am in my second lambing. Always something new to learn and people here are so helpful. We have a good fence forum that might be a help to you, sheep need a good fence! We also have the best Livestock Guard Dog forum on the planet (not biased, just the facts!) LOL! We love new members and are always glad to help. Wish you the best with your farm!

Plant fruit and nut trees for yourself ASAP and they will reward you year after year with good things to eat.