Holstein Twins

she-earl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We had a cow deliver full-term calves yesterday afternoon. They are very small for Holsteins. Are calves are often 90 - 100 pounds at birth. Together these two may weigh a combined 100 pounds. The littlest one is a heifer I call Jill. The larger one is a bull I call Jack. Their sire is "Hill" hence the names. A neighbor's ten-year-old daughter will be getting them next week after I have them started. [

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Are twin calves always male/female? My friend has a 400-cow dairy and all the sets of twins they have (though very few) are always male/female. And the female's always a freemartin so they usually sell her at auction along with her brother.

she-earl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Not all sets of twins are mixed. We have sets of twin heifers that we will raise. However, bull twins and mixed sets are sold. We are maxed out just raising our replacement heifers. Buyers prefer holstein calves be somewhere between 95-105 pounds. When they are as small as these, we would probably end up with a bill. We went a small once and won't do it again because they obviously shot it. We have different neighbors that are interested in our "freebie" calves. You are right that in a mixed set the heifer is a "freemartin". I raised a freemartin that did come into milk without ever calving and I didn't give her hormone shots either. She had enough reproductive something to make her come into heat and then into milk. She was giving one gallon of 4% milk every day. It met our needs as well as others. She was tame and I never tied her to milk her. I even would kneel beside her and stand a bottle lamb on my lamb so it could nurse directly from the heifer. They were a pair. The heifer and lamb together even though lambs mother and brothers were in the same meadow.

nuts4goats

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Dumb question...but what exactly is a free martin?

marlowmanor

Reaction score
From Wikipedia: A freemartin is an infertile female mammal which has masculinized behavior and non-functioning ovaries.[1] Genetically and externally the animal is female, but it is sterilized in the womb by hormones from a male twin, becoming an infertile partial intersex. Freemartinism is the normal outcome of mixed-sex twins in all cattle species that have been studied, and it also occurs occasionally in other mammals including sheep, goats and pigs.

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They are cute! Thanks for sharing. I love the names too! Very well thought out. :D

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Actually, a freemarten has no ovaries. Their reproductive tract ends where their urethra enters the vagina. I have found many of them over my many years of AI breeding heifers. Their vulva is usually quite small, and undeveloped. You can check a newborn calf with a pencil. If it goes into the vagina more than 4 inches, the calf is not a freemarten. However, be sure to use the blunt end of the pencil, and don't use a lot of pressure.