Hoping I didn’t screw up

MTKitty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I brought home my doe in milk and one of her littles yesterday. The baby is dam-raised and still nurses.

What I’m hoping I didn’t screw up is the relationship with mama-goat. In my paranoia about her udder filling too much, I tried milking her this morning. It did not go well.

The baby (8 weeks) is with her constantly - I neither have nor want to forcibly wean Little. First mistake, as I see it, is trying to milk w/o a stanchion. It was a rodeo. Neither of us made it eight seconds.

Second, I think she probably wasn’t uncomfortable. So, getting personal in less than 24 hours may have been too much.

C. (for variety) She was separated from her herd and second baby (seller kept one of the two).

IV (again for variety) I read that goat psychology is her resistance relates to me “stealing” milk her baby needs. It makes sense to me and I hadn’t considered it.

Finally, I realized I’m not sure what uncomfortable from milk engorgement looks/sounds like.

What I think I have in my favor: I have a milk stand as of this afternoon. She leads well and comes up to me in the pasture. She is eating grain again, where she was turning away from it yesterday. If Little nurses enough to keep her comfortable, I may be stressing over nothing.

If you’re still here, Thanks!

I have decided to work on her as if she has never been milked before by reacquainting her to the stanchion and to me. Is that a sound plan? Or should I be doing something different or extra?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Relax, Goatie Momma! You haven’t screwed up, you were just excited about her. I don’t have goats, but you could separate Little and the doe overnight, in pens next to each other, milk in the morning and then put them together for the day. At 8 weeks old, Little won’t starve to death. Give her hay, a little feed and water. They will bawl and make a fuss at first, but don’t give in.

JMO, I think you backed off, gave it thought, and you are on the right track.

Feed her on the stanchion and handle her udder. Maybe just a little to start with.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are in the right place! You will get lots of help here and excellent advice!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are right -- lot of changes for her. She will adjust and become familiar with you and new surroundings. She's friendly and eating, all good.

Since you acquired a milk stand, I'll assume keeping her in milk is your goal.😊. Many ways to do this. Some pull kids at birth and bottle exclusively (dairies)...this does make for a more disciplined production in milk. But I let mine be dam raised. At 2 months mom is spreading out their nursing times already. They could be separated at night, next to each other, you milk her in morning, she'll make more for kid. Together all day. The milk making is "supply/demand". You're looking at switching to 2x a day? It can be done but, often the dam won't produce  as much during transition....feeding on stand helps increase her food intake to produce more. Soon you'll be weaning the kid! Do start milking her 2x a day now, knowing you'll get less at night if kid there all day with her. You can pen/separate them earlier in afternoon? Feed kid, hay mom or leave out on grass, grain her at milking.

At weaning, mom will fluctuate based on new schedule but, keep milking at set times and empty her udder completely, she'll increase! I rarely have much issue with a need to milk for an "overload" so long as I milk on time. Their capacity is sometimes unreal. On occasion I do have one of my does that does need to have relief at odd times, when I first pull kids. I might take a little, then leave all until regular milking time. It works things out for the week or so it takes for their body to acclimate to new schedule.

You don't say her breed....I have full sized girls, most give 1.5-2+ gal a day. Others will pipe in with their way of doing but, this is mine. 😁

Last edited:

MTKitty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She’s a LaMancha (boy, do I miss ears!). Right now, I’m not set up to separate them w/o a barn remodel (which is coming this fall).

My other concern for separating them at night is our cooler than normal spring w/nights getting down to low 50s. Oddly enough, the cold is more a problem for the doe as she has been clipped for recent shows and a linear assessment she just went through.

Maybe by the time I figure out a temporary divider to separate them overnight, it will have warmed up.

MTKitty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
… I have full sized girls, most give 1.5-2+ gal a day. Others will pipe in with their way of doing but, this is mine. 😁
I was thinking a milk share with once a day milking for a few weeks as Little settles into more food and less milk (in another two weeks or so, as she approaches 11-12 weeks). At that time, I would go twice a day.

We had a modest success this morning, with mama getting on the milkstand for grain. I stood and rubbed her back and sides while she ate, which she tolerated well.

How long do I have to start a milking routine so as not to lose her production? I was thinking in terms of a few days or less.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
was thinking in terms of a few days or less.
Yeah. Better to get less while sharing and keep production going. Plus, she'll get used to you, as a milker. She'll calm down. Speak calm, rub her -- you'll see her changing.

She should give you a good supply, being LaMancha. Maybe more than you need. 😁. But cheese is easy, plus yogurt, etc. Is the kid a doeling? If so, I'll assume keeper for later milking. 🤷 I enjoy the relationship of milking & the girls. Mine are Saanen and SaanenXNubian.

Xtra milk -- cat, dog, pig, chickens -- who love it clabbered! No loses for milk. 🥰

MTKitty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m looking forward to yogurt and learning cheesemaking and fresh milk. If this evening’s milk stand practice goes well, I may try milking tomorrow.

I just wish our cloudy cool temps would ease up. Drizzle-y and 55 degrees, she spends the day hanging out in the barn instead of grazing.