Horns or no horns?

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Admittedly Im talking sheep where more often then not the horns curl, but with our rams 2/3 are horns. The horns work kind of like a handle making them easier and in some ways safer to handle. I don't think horns would bug me in goats.

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I don't mind horns when I see them on goats, but I don't want horns on my goats. Sometimes I wish it didn't matter...because that would give me more options to get the goats I like.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I like horns. It helps the goats keep cool and provides a convenient handle.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I don't like horns. They always seem to get in the way. I had a doe with horns and I was accidently getting hit with them when she moved her head. She also used them on the other goats.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My experience is that even the most docile tame goat will occasionally give you a head swipe.

I know that if my Lenora had horns I would have been knocked koo koo a couple of times.

I just feel safer without the horns.

I can see where the horns would be convenient handles, but we put the heavy duty plastic breakaway chains on ours, we can handle them but if they get hooked on a branch the weak link breaks.

Just my humble opinion.....

DonnaBelle

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
Do you like horns or dislike horns? Do you have a reason why you like or dislike them?

*Yep. I'm testing my poll abilities. lol*
Dislike. My sweet girl, Annie, nearly poked my eye out with her affections. No horns and I wouldn't be contemplating a possible black eye.

Yes, they're pretty. Yes, they can serve as protection. But my vote is no. They are dangerous.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
DonnaBelle said:
My experience is that even the most docile tame goat will occasionally give you a head swipe.

I know that if my Lenora had horns I would have been knocked koo koo a couple of times.

I just feel safer without the horns.

I can see where the horns would be convenient handles, but we put the heavy duty plastic breakaway chains on ours, we can handle them but if they get hooked on a branch the weak link breaks.

Just my humble opinion.....

DonnaBelle
I personally think that handling a goat by the horns causes pain to the goat. The reason is that those goats I have tried to handle with their horns acted in pain. It wasn't a "don't touch me," it was a "don't do that, it HURTS!" So, I don't even touch a goat's horns, except very lightly. So, I think they are a bad idea as handles. JMO.