How do I help the conception rate of does versus bucks? Suggestions?

RBauscher

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We began raising goats two years ago. This year we had 80+% bucklings born, not a good year financially. Any suggestions on how to encourage the conception of does or is it basically luck? Thanks!

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
A rich women I would be if I knew the answer to that questions. :)

There are very few, and very limited, studies that suggest that female sperm are better able to handle heat and acidity than male sperm, and that of course has led to some unfounded practices (such as adding in vinegar to water which does not change the acidity or temperature of the vagina).

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
we had a buck year as well.

your sire determines the sex.

some sires throw more bucks.

weather and feed also can affect male vs. female sperm. female sperm die off sooner.

increase acidity of water by adding vinegar to water, i was told 1 cup per 5 gallons, starting one month before breeding. i have not tried this. some people swear by it. We have never had such a big buck year. and have never added vinegar, so I don't know about all of that. Maybe just luck or bad luck.

For us we have a market for our bucks, so it isn't that big of a deal. Although, over all does do bring a little more money.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:) This year we had all doelings from our Spanish herdsire. Yep, not a single buckling. This has never happened to me in my 13 yrs. of raising goats. Last year we still had proportionally more females than males. I always put distilled vinegar in my watering trough at a concentration of 1 gallon of distilled vinegar to 100 gallons of water. It is impossible for vinegar in the drinking water to raise the acidity of the vagina of a goat unless she gets the water in her vagina and the chances are slim to none that this will happen. LOL!!! The reason I use vinegar is it naturally keeps algae from growing in the water tank and encourages the goats to drink more water. The vinegar keeps the water in the tank crystal clear. The others are right, some bucks have a tendency to throw more does than bucks and vice versa. I was hoping for at least 1-2 bucklings this year so that I would have them to take to slaughter. Starting to run low on goat meat and I hate to buy someone else's goats for slaughter cause you don't know what meds or hormones or antibiotics have been given. I will only eat goat meat from my own farm since I know what they have had.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have seen the same studies. The human body has wonderful buffer system and operates on a very fine line when it comes to pH (a few numbers either way can spell disaster. All mammals operate on similar tolerances.

Suburbanfarmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I would think it would be similar to humans in that the X chromosome is slower, but hardier and the Y chromosome is faster, but dies faster too. Breed early in the cycle then separate the buck and doe soon after breeding. I'm not sure if this would work, but it would be worth a try.
-K

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a fellow goat breeder that swears by hand-breeding. She says that if she knows a doe is in heat she will put the buck next to her in a pen where he can smell her. She swears that the stress of the buck not being able to get to the doe causes the weaker sperm (male) to die off so that when she hand breeds after a few hours of this she has nearly all does the next spring.