How Long Can Buck Stay With Does After Breeding? -Nigerian Dwarf

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi everybody! I have three Nigerian Dwarf does that I'll be breeding back in October so they kid in March. The buck is proven but young, only just about a year old. My does are a second freshener and two who will be on at least their third.
I have been keeping them apart of course but only have one buck right now. (Bought another one that came with severe brain damage due to parasites and he died.) So at least for this year he is alone.

My question is whether he can stay with the does until February or will he keep bothering them even after they're bred?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
If he has already proven himself, and a year old is plenty old enough, you don't need to keep him in for breeding unless you want to wait 3 weeks and see if your girls come back into heat. How he will behave depends on him. One of my bucks is a pest and chases and chases the girls even when they aren't in heat, but then one of the others does the deed and other than flirting, he is a gentleman. See how he behaves because you don't want a pregnant doe stressed out from being chased all day every day. However, you buck needs a friend so if you need to separate him, you should really look into getting either another buck or wether for him soon. Even if you get a boy from your breeding, it won't be big enough to be a companion for awhile.

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would wait and see if your buck is a gentleman with the ladies after the deed is done. I have had two different bucks that lived with the girls after they were bred and both were gentlemen. The only problem may be you will not know when the breedings take place. I never saw any "action" so the due dates were a guessing game.

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am trying to get another buck but I don't see that happening this year since all of the quality bucks are sold and settled. As always I will keep trying through winter. He bred them once before and other than when he was in rut I didn't see a ton of chasing the pregnant does. He just ocassionally "lips" at their sides and grunts but they told him to buzz off and he did. I'll keep an eye on things after they breed and if he seems to be bothering them I won't risk it. I'd rather him be lonely than my does be harmed.

I've never had does kid near the same time. Will they graze together with kids or will they be trying to kill each others' babies? They tolerated the other doe's kids when they themselves didn't have any but I'm not sure how it'll go with simultaneous births. How do your does get along when they've got kids?