How much grain for a kid?

_sonshine_

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a 2 month old weaned, female pygmy and was wondering how much grain should she be getting daily.
TIA

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
_sonshine_ said:
I have a 2 month old weaned, female pygmy and was wondering how much grain should she be getting daily.
TIA
What kind of grain? What kind of hay are you feeding? Is she on pasture/browse? Is she thin? Is she fat? Does she seem to be growing appropriately?

There are a ton of variables in play when it comes to feeding and nutrition. Tell us more. :)

_sonshine_

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I feed her Noble Goat and mixed hay and alfalfa hay. She does browse but it seems like she likes to eat dead leaves and my weeping willow tree but not alot of grass. She looks a little thick to me but IDK I just picked her up 2 days ago.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
_sonshine_ said:
I feed her Noble Goat and mixed hay and alfalfa hay. She does browse but it seems like she likes to eat dead leaves and my weeping willow tree but not alot of grass. She looks a little thick to me but IDK I just picked her up 2 days ago.
If you just picked her up a few days ago, you should continue doing basically whatever was being done before to avoid upsetting her system.

Later on, once she gets all settled in, keep an eye on her condition. Basically, if she gets to where she's got fat up around her 'armpits' and tailhead, she's getting fat, so go easy on the supplementation. If she doesn't have fat there and her ribs and backbone are kinda pronounced and easily felt through the skin, she's too thin, so bump up her supplementation.

FWIW, it's a goat's nature to choose browse over graze. They're mixed eaters, but they generally do prefer browse.