how much is too much

B.B

Just born
Reaction score
I give my 4 month old pygmy all the tim. and alph. hay she could want. How much grain should she eat? In the am I give her about two handfulls. Dinner the same. During the day I give her about 3 handfulls. We also share a carrot or apple everday with the dogs. Is this two much?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
My ADULT pygmies get about a cup (standard measuring cup size) of grain (feed) daily. I only feed 1 time daily. Kids up to 12 months get 1/2 of the adult amount 1 time daily and I remove what they don't finish at the end of feeding time. Lactating or late pregnant does get a twice daily feeding (that is the only time I feed twice daily).

Hay is available all day free choice to them. My hay is an orchard grass / clover / alfalfa mix. Be careful with straight alfalfa as they will fatten up quickly on it (unless that's what you want).

You don't want to overfeed a pygmy or they will get overweight and that's not good for them at all.

Mine also have free access to the pasture all day.

"handfuls" are subjective...depends on how big your hands are...2 handfuls for me would equal 1 cup...

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Sharing an apple or carrot would be fine. Mine love apples but dislike carrots...but try them several times cause they sometimes change their minds about things like that.

I would probably adjust your feedings so you don't end up with an overweight goat.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Being a pygmy, she might not NEED grain at all. They do have a tendency to be "easy keepers". Personally I don't grain goats unless they really need it to stay in good condition, which means pre-breeding age doelings don't get any most of the time.

Nothing wrong with giving her a handful as a treat, just don't overdo it so she gets too fat!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I believe in graining...even pygmies...until at least 12 months of age. But you definitely want to be careful not to overdo it with pygmies especially.

Latest posts