How much to feed them?

11langenkamp_w

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am new to pygmy goats and was wondering how much grain and hay to feed 5 of them they are not on pasture becasue of the weather.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
My two pygmies get obese on air, so no grain here. Every goat is an individual, though.

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Free....
171.gif

So does mine! I actually only started graining her because she's hopefully bred.

All my goats get free choice hay and minerals and 7 goats share grain in the community trough.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Again (as in your other post) I recommend that you check out the NPGA's website http://www.npga-pygmy.com/resources/health/health.asp

With pygmies you really need to assess each individual. They all need free access to hay and minerals. My late pregnant does and lactating does get grain and alfalfa pellets, free choice baking soda and free choice minerals. My boys get very little grain (only in winter) and their free choice hay. My non-pregnant/ non-lactating does get a small amount of grain (winter) and their free choice hay. My kids get grain (amount depends on their size and gender) and free choice hay.

If an individual is overweight - they only get hay (and don't confuse a pygmies roundness for overweight). If they are under conditioned they will get an up in the grain portion.

Be careful with boys and grain or alfalfa.

Always offer hay free choice when their is no browse.

Always offer goat minerals free choice. My have their choice of block, rock and loose - yeah, they are spoiled :D

If you decide to use a community trough for pygmies be watchful and make sure that the lowest herdmember is getting their share and doesn't loose condition. If that happens separate them at feeding time. It can be a chore at first but once you get a flow going you'll move quicker and it'll become a smooth process.

eta: And goats need copper, so make sure your feed and minerals have it in them. I would recommend those specifically formulated for goats if they are available in your area.

Please tell us what you have - bucks, wethers, does...

11langenkamp_w

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Mine only get a little grain when there on pasture. . .but right now there not. Theres one billy and 4 does which might be breed the buck is with them. they are getting a mixture of alfalfa and grass hay.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
11langenkamp_w said:
Mine only get a little grain when there on pasture. . .but right now there not. Theres one billy and 4 does which might be breed the buck is with them. they are getting a mixture of alfalfa and grass hay.
Are they all full grown?

eta: Your hay is fine. You want to add minerals if you don't have them out already. How much is a little grain?

11langenkamp_w

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
And by free choice you mean as much hay as they want?