How should I choose which buck to keep?

woodleighcreek

The Rabbit Queen
Reaction score
I have three AMAZING bucks. The first has 3 BOBs and an honorable mention on the BIS table, the second has two BOBs and a RIS, and the third is still a baby but is looking very promising. Which one should I keep? Or should I keep all of them. I have 5 does. I have two pairs that are full siblings.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Why not keep them all unless you are short on space.

Petit Jean Bunnies

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I would recommend keeping an older one and then the younger one. The older one to continue to get outstanding bloodlines form, and the younger one to begin to take the older ones place and eventually become the main herd buck.

Hope this helps, best of luck!

ibreedlionheads

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would say keep one of the older ones and the younger one. If the younger one doesn't turn out as well as you were expecting you can always sell him and still have your nice old buck. As to which older buck to keep, I haven't a clue. I think you should consider yourself a judge for a day, decide which one is better quality or fits with your breeding program better, and keep him

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ibreedlionheads said:
I would say keep one of the older ones and the younger one. If the younger one doesn't turn out as well as you were expecting you can always sell him and still have your nice old buck. As to which older buck to keep, I haven't a clue. I think you should consider yourself a judge for a day, decide which one is better quality or fits with your breeding program better, and keep him
I culled out one of my bucks today because of this. He was a nice guy, threw nice babies...... but was to long in the body and just didnt mix with what I am doing in meat rabbits. I know every now and then I have to stand back and remind myself that this is a business of putting great, humanely treated food on my table.
I have to say, I am very happy with what we do. Take a big deep breath......... and look at them and feel them and see who you think works best for what your doing.

Latest posts