I accidently over fed a 4 day old calf..

cassie carmein

Just born
Reaction score
I over fed a 4 day old calf...I dint think he was going to make it through the night but he did...he was doing ok yesterday...drinking 1/2 pint to 1 pint every 4 to 5 hrs and even stood up by himself last night and was walking around the yard...this morning he is almost lathargic and won't stand when I pick him up and has slightly snotty nose. What can I do

Azriel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm sorry your calf is so sick. If he is scouring you need to get that stopped ASAP, and it sounds like he may have pneumonia or shipping fever and needs some antibiotics.
Get to your local farm store they will have meds for the scours and electrolytes. Stop giving him milk for at least 2 feedings. If he is too weak to eat you will have to tube him. I'm not sure what to give for the pneumonia, some type of penn., hopefully someone with more knowledge on that will answer, or ask at the farm store,hopefully they would have someone to help you. Also, keep the calf warm, get a heat lamp on him, or even cover him with a blanket, anything to help keep him from getting chilled when he is too sick to get up and move around. Good luck with him.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
LA 200 is oxytetracycline which is a great all purpose antibiotic. It is indicated for the treatment of shipping fever, upper resp. Infections, keratoconjunctivitis (pinkeye), and also certain types of bacterial hoof infections. All this info is on the insert attached to the multi dose vial and the good thing is this med can be bought OTC. If I remember correctly it is 4.5 ml per 100lb not to be given more than 4.5 ml in any one site. I use Pepto for scours and mix up some electrolytes for the little fella and also some Nutridrench would help also. Disclaimer: I am not a vet but I play one on TV LOL!!!:lol: Seriously, I'm not a vet but this is our protocol at our farm for these signs and symptoms. Good luck. :)