Ideas on how to get a halter on a grown animal?

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our two Scottish Highlands are supposedly halter broken. I haven't yet tried to get a halter on Sheila, the 4-year old, but Bridgit, the 2-year old, has a definite issue with the mere sight of a halter and will run and kick and generally flip out.

We need the vet to come out and I want to get halters on both girls, even so I can do it this once and let them drag it around, but I'd prefer to get them comfortable so taking halters on and off isn't such an ordeal.

Any suggestions, O Wise Ones?

Thanks!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Can you run them into a barn or shed? Then you will have to gently work them into a corner or stantion and work to get one on. It may take a while. A good corner in the pasture will work too if you know they won't go through it. Once you have them haltered try leading them and see if they just don't like the halter put on or if they aren't halter broken. They may have had a bad experience with the halter. I also would recommend a rope halter and not a show halter.

I wouldn't leave them on them to drag either. They can get tangled up in it and that is dangerous. You could end up having the vet out for another reason.

Chris aka Barney

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We do not halter our cows, but we halter our llamas when the vet comes. I agree with you Kitty. You need to remove the halter. Animals can get snagged on a wire or something and freak out and hurt themselves really badly.

Farmer Kitty said:
Can you run them into a barn or shed? Then you will have to gently work them into a corner or stantion and work to get one on. It may take a while. A good corner in the pasture will work too if you know they won't go through it. Once you have them haltered try leading them and see if they just don't like the halter put on or if they aren't halter broken. They may have had a bad experience with the halter. I also would recommend a rope halter and not a show halter.

I wouldn't leave them on them to drag either. They can get tangled up in it and that is dangerous. You could end up having the vet out for another reason.

allenacres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ours are halter broken too, even the one that was born and raised here, but all (except the bull) still walk or run when they see a rope or halter in my hand. They know what it means! LOL So what I do is get a bucket of beet pulp and when their head is in the bucket, I loop a rope, with a slip knot, over their horns. Once my girls know they are caught they give up. I also try to do this by a tree, so if Reba, my worst cow when it comes to haltering, decides to make a run for it, I can use the tree as leverage.

Even our alpha female who really IS like a pet, will run and kick up her heels when she sees the halter. I just dont halter them often enough to make them happy about being haltered. If I walk out there with a comb they love me, but with a rope or halter....seeeee yaaaaa! ;)

By the way, all our cattle are trained to come running when they see a bucket, (except the bull) that way if by chance they get out of the pasture....run to momma she has food! :p

By the way, I looked up your younger cow and she is related to our bull. I think it was her grandmother is our bulls mother. Pretty kewl.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh, good, so it's not just me or my lousy technique. What a relief!

Sheila definitely comes running when she sees a bucket, and Bridgit cautiously comes behind (more out of self-preservation, I think). I was looking at Sheila's back toes again last night during combing, and between needing to get someone out to trim (your guy hasn't called me back yet, Amy, will try again) and the vet out to palpitate and check a funny thing on Bridgit's right cheek (face, not butt), I think I need to actually get the halter on. I decided I'll toss my goal of doing it this week and wait for my hubby to come home to help me. No sense me getting kicked or otherwise injured out there by myself with no one to see! I'll just continue my nightly combing sessions...very relaxing and enjoyable for both them and me. :)

(Amy, I also saw our kids are related...very cool!)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You could try having the halter looped over your shoulder or something similar to have it close to them and let them get used to seeing it while your combing them. That would be a step forward, if they would allow you to comb them while it's around.

pokacow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm new to cows but the advice about the halter on shoulder makes sense. If you always have it in sight, not just when you want to catch them it should make it easier. I've used this with horses, always having it when feeding, or treats, then taking them to nummy food instead of somewhere or something they don't like. Just like if you only take your dog to the groomer, vet or kennel in the car, they won't like riding in the car. After a while they associate it with more good than bad & take their chances! Jody

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm happy to report that my hubby successfully haltered our larger animal, Sheila, while I had her in a combing-induced trance. He slipped it over her horns first, then over her nose, and she didn't mind one bit! (She might think otherwise next time, since this time preceded a humilating lift on the hoof trimmer's hydraulic table, but then again, her manicure is quite nice!)

We still need to work on haltering Bridgit...the over-the-shoulder technique will probably be good here, so she can see it when we give her treats and/or comb her and maybe get her used to it that way.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:clap It sounds like you're making headway. Just keep it up with small steps and you will get there.

Florida chick

Just born
Reaction score
I tried so hard to work our cows to let me halter them and lead them... I usually look like I am waterskiing on grass. :D We just use the chutes its easier. LOL I wish Abbey would calm down about it. I can deal with Wild MUstangs a stinkin heifer should be easy. Don't feel bad. ;)