I'm overwhelmed...

wannacow

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
This is my first winter with goats. I have 2 nubians and 2 saanens. They have been in an inside barn since I got them in Mar. Last week DH finished their pens in our 3 sided shed. They are dry and out of the wind and seem to be doing well. It has gotten very cold this week, -15 at night. They have 24 hr access to grass hay and are getting a lb of alfalfa pellets twice a day, also about a 1/2 c of purina goat chow with their alfalfa. They also have free access to goat minerals, although I've never seen them eat them. I'm hoping the 2 older does are bred. My question, is, am I feeding them correctly? I don't really see them eating much hay right now, in fact I've not had to fill the hay feeders since they've been outside. The feeders are new, but it is the same hay they were eating before. I guess I just need some reassurance. I'm a "black and white, needing a recipe" type person. :p

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
What you're doing sounds perfectly fine. I don't have full sized dairy breeds so I'm sure someone else will chime in on that angle if it should be addressed.

You may be a black and white - need a recipe type of person but goats are gonna test that to the max :p If your goats are healthy and happy then you're doing great.

Take a look at the Feeding Discussion thread (link in my signature) and you'll see just how big of a range there is in the way that people feed their goats (reminds me that I've changed some things and need to edit my post there).

As to the minerals...the consumption of them seems to come in waves. Sometimes they eat a ton and other very little or none...it's why it's best to offer free choice.

wannacow

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks elevan. My nubian doe was pretty skinny all summer while I was milking. She ate well and had good pasture and browse. I was still milking her when she went to the breeder for a month and a half. When she came back, she was huge! I'm not sure if it was because of the feeding or because she wasn't milking anymore. Now, I think she's lost a little weight. Probably just my imagination, but I really want them to be healthy and to have healthy kids.

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
SmallFarmGirl said:
wannacow said:
I really want them to be healthy and to have healthy kids.
Thats good !!!! :frow
agreed.... all any of us want is heathy happy livestock and it is certainly stressful when one of them doesn't appear to be thriving but you sound like your doing a great job.

wannacow

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks for all your encouragement. I'll keep "plugging" away. :) Time to go feed the girls. :p

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
if they are not eating the hay, check it. it may be nothing but stems and very unattractive to goats(they really are kinda picky)maybe try a new bale from some other location and see if they eat that. when it is cold out, they really need the hay to help keep them warm thru digestion of the plant material. it may be moldy, again not very tastey.

wannacow

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I gave them a new bale. They were all over that. I think they just like new that they can trample and don't like the new hayfeeders. :/

nstilwater

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
my goat will not eat anything that has been out overnight i have to feed her just enough to last the day or it goes to waste

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A 80 to 100 lb goat only eats around 3 to 5 lbs of hay a day, Which is maybe a good thick slab/wedge from a 45 lb square bale. The rest they mostly dig thorugh and waste. Of course their consumption will go up some if they are lactating. I suggest putting just enough hay out each day, so they aren't acting starved the next day, but aren't wasting it and leaving alot behind. Or put out fresh hay twice a day, just enough to last in between feedings.

I find my goats will almost always choose to eat the hay loose on the ground or thrown in a big tub on the ground before they eat out of a hay rack, but if they are not given a choice then they will eat out of the hay rack.

How big are the holes in your hay rack? wire?