Is it a Silver Fox ? Pic

Robo Buck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The owners I got this female rabbit said it was a baby black New Zealand doe. When I went in the rabbits cage there were 3 other rabbits 2 were black and 1 looked similar to it .
It looks so similar to a Silver fox when I run my hand from its tail to its head it's fur does not run back in place strange enough from what I know a Silver Fox is supposed to do that right? And all I payed was 7.50 for IT!! I dont know if it is for sure one so I will let you guys judge ... :/
5180_frosty.jpg

Prairiechick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Looks like a Silver Fox to me.
I have never seen a New Zealand that looked like that!

DianeS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Looks like a Silver Fox to me. Perhaps it's a mix and the owners only knew the NZ part of the mix? That would explain it.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
We bred a white NZ to a silver fox and our kits looked a lot like that. Some of them the fur acted like SF, some it didn't.

Robo Buck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I would like to breed it back to my white New Zealand Buck do you guys know what would happen ? Because if it is a New Zealand x Silver fox would the color change if it was crossed back to a New Zealand ?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is NOT a Silver Fox, it's a steel. The Silver Fox is a solid colored rabbit with a lot of white hairs in its coat; a steel has hairs that are mostly dark, but are ticked with a lighter color. I haven't done a lot of New Zealand breeding, but when I outcrossed a New Zealand White to my Harlequins, I got steel babies. Others have told me of similar results; apparently steel is common in NZW's.

Steel is a weird gene. It occurs at the E locus, and you only see the steel coloring when it is paired with the normal full color gene at that locus. Any other combination usually winds up looking like a black self. If you breed this doe to your NZW buck, you will probably get some REW's, some steels, and some that are solid black like this doe's littermates.

This is a Silver Fox:

silverfox.jpg

Prairiechick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Bunnylady said:
That is NOT a Silver Fox, it's a steel. The Silver Fox is a solid colored rabbit with a lot of white hairs in its coat; a steel has hairs that are mostly dark, but are ticked with a lighter color. I haven't done a lot of New Zealand breeding, but when I outcrossed a New Zealand White to my Harlequins, I got steel babies. Others have told me of similar results; apparently steel is common in NZW's.

Steel is a weird gene. It occurs at the E locus, and you only see the steel coloring when it is paired with the normal full color gene at that locus. Any other combination usually winds up looking like a black self. If you breed this doe to your NZW buck, you will probably get some REW's, some steels, and some that are solid black like this doe's littermates.

This is a Silver Fox:

http://www.albc-usa.org/images/silverfox.jpg
As usual, you make a lot of sense. Looking at the picture of the SF, you can see the OPs rabbit has a more solid head.

DianeS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Bunnylady, it's amazing how much detail you can see from a single photograph. I completely understand your explanation of white tips vs white hairs, but I just can't see the difference in that photo. I'm glad you chime in on these!

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is a bit subtle, but the difference in the size of the light spots on the coat does create a different look. Also, the OP's rabbit looks to be gold-tipped rather than silver, which is a definite give away! :p

Steel: Silver Fox

images
images