Is it possible to have only boys from the same buck?

gingit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We had 5 boys from the same buck, 4 different nannies.
2 additional babies were born dead, and I didn't check their sex.
My husband says the buck may be "defective".
I say my husband and his father, as well as my grandfather are all defective if that is the case: My father is one of 3 boys, hubby is one of 4 boys and we have 4 boys, 1 girl (she's mine from a prev. marriage).
Clearly I love my buck...

What do you think?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
You have buck years, you have doe years, you have 50/50 years. I can tell you from experience from alpacas and goats that it usually ends up being about 50/50 overall. I was in alpacas for 14 years and my final tally of crias born was about 50/50. Last year I had almost all males with my goats and now this year I had almost all does.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Most people say its 50/50 wether or not you get girls .Personally I kind of wonder the same thing. I've heard people in the cattle industry say a bull throws more heifers than bulls. Logically I say it's 50/50, but you have to wonder if they pass on more of one chromosome than the other. We've had 11 lambs out of our ram and only got two ram lambs. I also wonder about litter size and weather the sire has anything to do with it. I've found resources that say yes and some that say no.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
It usually averages out to 50/50 for most folks, but it's entirely possible for them to sire more boys than girls or vice versa as the father of mammalian species determine the gender of their offspring.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Chaos, our Nubian buck, had a doe year his 1st year, then has averaged around 50/50 for 3 years, and this year sired 8 or 10 bucks ONLY.

If he does it again next year, he'll be dinner.

(just kidding....sorta)

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
Hmmm... I really wonder. Because I want one that ONLY gives does! :lol:
My little bit: I'm pretty positive it's 50/50

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My first year of kidding I got ALL doelings (7 or 8 babies - I don't remember now). The next year it was almost 50/50. The following year it was five doelings and two bucklings. We haven't started kidding this year yet... a month away.

In 8 years I've had 15 llama crias - 12 girls and 3 boys! My neighbor who has a very large alpaca ranch (80 some animals) has been getting 75% males the last few years until last year when she finally got 75% females.

Now - those numbers don't really show anything since I had multiple bucks in use for those breedings and three different male llamas. But, it's fun to look back and see how the law of averages work on babies. :lol:

As elevan said - it is the daddy who determines the sex of the offspring so it's certainly possible that one buck would throw more of one sex than the other. It's just like people families that end up with all of one sex children...

Mom carries XX chromosomes and dad XY. Males are XY, females are XX.

With bucks, exactly half are X and exactly half are Y. But it's random.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Other factors influence the production of boys and girls as well. Nutrition, acidity conditions in the womb, lots of things. You can't say for sure that it's just the buck. Personally, I think it's a crap shoot.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
Other factors influence the production of boys and girls as well. Nutrition, acidity conditions in the womb, lots of things. You can't say for sure that it's just the buck. Personally, I think it's a crap shoot.
Ha ha . I'm almost certain the gender is dependent on how bad you want to keep it. Absolutely AWESOME babies will be boys and the ok but not as pretty will be girls.