Is she expecting?

koalabear

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, actually it does --- me being in Southern California what grows here is far different than what you have. Heck I think it's cold when it's 40 degrees (~4 degrees C). ;) :) - and snow?? never here unless we're up in the mountains.
Right 😃 I would be happy if we had 4 degrees C here in winter, but no, -30C and snow to the knees.🙃🫠 I'm going to try and fatten this poor thing up before its getting this cold, I'm glad she is not going to lamb soon, this way, IF she is pregnant, her lamb is getting a chance with her mother hopefully..

koalabear

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you for adding your location. I am sure that many of us have no idea of your individual conditions... That said, it is really nice to have members from other areas... and learn about what things there are like. We had a member that used to post that had water buffalo and it was very interesting to read about them, plus their weather, conditions and different types of feed. So while we cannot directly relate, unless someone here has lived or traveled there... especially with the feeds and such... sheep are sheep... and some things are still very similar.
I still think that the nutrition is your first concern... and maybe she will pass worms and get somewhat cleaned out... I am hoping that getting her wormed she will pass them, and the stomach ache symptoms will pass also. Then maybe her manure will get more normal and she will start to gain weight... then in a month or so you can worry about a possible pregnancy. She does not look like she is anywhere close to being very far along if she is pregnant.
I also think the nutrition is the most important thing right now and I'm doing my best to get her stomach and stools normal. Her stomach makes unbelievable noises to be honest, this poor thing must be so uncomfortable😕

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
On a cattle forum that I am a member, there are several members in Canada... they use meters and centigrade... so I keep a chart here close to see the conversions of C* to F*.... anything that is below freezing, in whatever scale you use... is COLD!!!!!

koalabear

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
On a cattle forum that I am a member, there are several members in Canada... they use meters and centigrade... so I keep a chart here close to see the conversions of C* to F*.... anything that is below freezing, in whatever scale you use... is COLD!!!!!
I agree. Every winter I think WHY I live where I live😃 winter for animals is harsh here. But we'll manage somehow. My older sheep has very thick wool, on her face also, but new one does not, so I'm worried about that too. But we'll make it work. 🙂

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I did a conversion, -22C is equal to -7.6F.
That freak storm we had in 2021 was -6F. So now we’re talking! I had a lamb born during that and she just looked so pitiful that I cut an arm off my sweater and made her a coat. Every time I went outside I scooped her up and stuck my finger in her mouth. It was always warm, that’s a good thing. Her mom was feeding and caring for her. But I tucked in my sweat shirt and stuck her next to my belly while I worked, just to warm her up a little. She looked so pitiful!

IMG_0400.jpeg

So if my lambs survived -6F, yours should survive -22C. They just need a dry shelter that blocks the wind.