Lionhead question??? Pics added..

kyrose

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
First,let me say Happy Thanksgiving!! I have 1 little mix breed bunny that i have totally fell in love with,now i feel as tho i can handle a second bunny.I love the little lionheads and was wondering how thier temperments are and if theres a difference between male and female personalities.My little bunny is a female and she is an absolute sweetheart.Thanks for any info you can give me..

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Lionheads are usually a friendly breed--though there are exceptions to every rule. The bucks are usually more docile though not always the case, and you'll want to keep either sex away from your current rabbit as either mating or fighting can/will ensue. I love my Lionheads and reccomend them as a pet breed.

CYG

kyrose

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
CYGChickies said:
Lionheads are usually a friendly breed--though there are exceptions to every rule. The bucks are usually more docile though not always the case, and you'll want to keep either sex away from your current rabbit as either mating or fighting can/will ensue. I love my Lionheads and reccomend them as a pet breed.

CYG
Thanks CYG,i think the lionheads are adorable.i would definitely give him/her a seperate cage.How impoetant is it to go thru a breeder,or does it matter?
Thanks again..

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
I think your best bet is go and find a reputable breeder if you are serious about getting a Lionhead. I would. Perfectly honest, I would for any breed I would get. But that's just me. Lionheads are exceptional where they can have a single mane or double. I like the single because it really makes me think lion, but again that's just me.

I have to agree with "the exception to the rule" on any breed regarding temperament. Lionheads make great pets and though a slight bit of maintenance on their manes, I'm finding grooming buns a benefit because your hands on more and you really get to know your bun.

Wishing you luck on finding a lionhead. Please let us know how you make out.

K

kyrose

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
I think your best bet is go and find a reputable breeder if you are serious about getting a Lionhead. I would. Perfectly honest, I would for any breed I would get. But that's just me. Lionheads are exceptional where they can have a single mane or double. I like the single because it really makes me think lion, but again that's just me.

I have to agree with "the exception to the rule" on any breed regarding temperament. Lionheads make great pets and though a slight bit of maintenance on their manes, I'm finding grooming buns a benefit because your hands on more and you really get to know your bun.

Wishing you luck on finding a lionhead. Please let us know how you make out.

K
Thanks MsResearch.I appreciate the info...

MillieMoo

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have had our buck for almost a year. We got a doe a few months after we got him so we could breed them. Let me start by saying the buck is the friendlier of the two. He doesn't care who holds him. They both stay in our garage and whenever someone walks in he runs over and climbs the side of his cage to greet them. No our doe Camilla is picky about who holds her or touches her. She likes to be held by only me. Our kids are 10 and 7 and she is not a big fan of them. She will tolerate them but isn't too friendly. That's my experience.
I also make sure to brush them both frequently so they don't get blockage.

kyrose

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
MillieMoo said:
We have had our buck for almost a year. We got a doe a few months after we got him so we could breed them. Let me start by saying the buck is the friendlier of the two. He doesn't care who holds him. They both stay in our garage and whenever someone walks in he runs over and climbs the side of his cage to greet them. No our doe Camilla is picky about who holds her or touches her. She likes to be held by only me. Our kids are 10 and 7 and she is not a big fan of them. She will tolerate them but isn't too friendly. That's my experience.
I also make sure to brush them both frequently so they don't get blockage.
my bunny is a female,and comes running when anybody comes to the cage.She doesnt like to be held tho,but she will sit there all day and let you pet her.Do the males mark their territories?My rabbit is in the living room..

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Found out about marking the hard way. I had two non-neutered males who loved to mark their territory. Had to curb their run in the living room. No spraying since neutering though.

K

kyrose

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
Found out about marking the hard way. I had two non-neutered males who loved to mark their territory. Had to curb their run in the living room. No spraying since neutering though.

K
i dont know of a vet in my area that has alot of bunny experience.probably be best for me to get a female.midnight is almost a year old and no worries.she is sweet as can be..

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
kyrose said:
Ms. Research said:

K
i dont know of a vet in my area that has alot of bunny experience.probably be best for me to get a female.midnight is almost a year old and no worries.she is sweet as can be..
This is not to scare you, but I would start looking for a "Rabbit" vet for your females. Female rabbits have more problems internally than males. The only reason I neutered my males because it does stop the marking. Nothing other than that. Stops a dirty habit. That's the only reason my Rabbit vet neuters males. Nothing to do with health issues. Females, on the other hand, if not breeding might have problems with their uterus or fallopian tubes (whatever the medical term is for rabbit reproductive parts). Females are very prone to cancer. Spaying a female will stop that. My "Rabbit" vet believes that as well. He raised NZ for years.

It's up to the individual whether they spay/neuter their rabbits. I did for my pets. And I would do the same for a female pet or a retired doe as well because of the data out there showing female rabbit and cancer.

K