Litter born on wire

sagewoman

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I had a litter of 7 kits born on the wire today. 5 were dead and 2 were hanging on. They were barely warm but I ran warm water over them and they revived. I placed them in a box with mom and when I checked a couple of hours later they were cold again. The showed slight movement and I again ran warm water over them and they became quite lively. I now have them in a small box with mom and am hoping they will latch onto her. I have two questions. Could I put them in with another nursing doe and her kits, and should I rebreed mom back to the buck right away? She is a Lionhead and has been a good mom with past litters.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
How old is the other litter? I have often put litters together when there are only a few kits in each; more kits do a better job of keeping each other warm and they are less likely to grow too fast. However, if these kits have been seriously chilled twice, they may not have the stamina to hold their own with another litter.

As to whether you rebreed this doe - that's up to you. Unless you think you know why this experienced mom made such a mess of things, it's pretty hard to say whether she'll do better next time.

Latest posts