Llamas fighting

Grace Ranch

Just born
Reaction score
Hi! I have two intact male llamas guarding my goat herd. The person I got them from was keeping them with five other intact males. I’m worried about their fighting. They fight on a daily basis and the larger one is ripping wool off the other one. The smaller one now has injuries all over his neck. What can I do to stop this? Would it help if I sold one and got a female?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Get them both fixed before one kills the other. OR one hurts the goats. They will get "ideas" when the goats start coming in heat and they will try to breed them... YES it happens. They will also try to breed sheep in heat. If you do not know much about them, you certainly do not want a male and a female... they also have been known to hurt a female in heat.
Get them gelded and then they will concentrate on being a guard animal and not let the hormones rule... Or get 2 females to run with the goats. We ran a gelded male with some sheep and had 2 females at another place with the sheep and they were awesome guardians.

Grace Ranch

Just born
Reaction score
They need to be gelded ASAP. Also talk to the vet about trimming their fighting teeth. They use them when fighting and can do serious damage with them.
Yes I’m definitely looking into gelding them asap (I haven’t found a vet that sees llamas yet). Don’t they need their fighting teeth to guard the goats?

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes I’m definitely looking into gelding them asap (I haven’t found a vet that sees llamas yet). Don’t they need their fighting teeth to guard the goats?

No. I’m sure they could use the teeth if they actually attacked something, but a llama’s main defense method is intimidation and kicking or striking with their front feet.

Grace Ranch

Just born
Reaction score
@Grace Ranch ... could you go to your name top right, click down to account details and down to location and put in some general area... state.. something so we have an idea of where you are... Might be someone that can help you find a vet that can work on llama's also....
Done! Thanks I’m new to this

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the location.,..... sorry, I don't know anyone in Montana.... how about calling the county extension office... or someone in 4-H..... feed mill ????? I can't imagine that castrating them would be that much different than a horse, ???? Is there a reason the place you got them doesn't castrate?

Grace Ranch

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for the location.,..... sorry, I don't know anyone in Montana.... how about calling the county extension office... or someone in 4-H..... feed mill ????? I can't imagine that castrating them would be that much different than a horse, ???? Is there a reason the place you got them doesn't castrate?
Yes I’ll have to look around. The person I got them from didn’t take the best care of them. He had like 30 llamas and didn’t castrate, sheer, or trim hooves. He also kept them all in very small pens. We are getting them sheered in the spring because I don’t want them to be cold.