Locking Fetlock

GoldBarRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a 5 year old pony that I got and she has a locking fetlock that locks when she gets stressed or bolts. They lady I got her from said the vet told her with excersize it would get stronger and stop . I dont know much about her past but she is still very skiddish and untrusting. Im guessing this was a trailer accident but I was told is common in Minis? I was wondering if some glucosamine would help and a fetlock boot for support . I was spending alot of one on one with her and it seemed she stopped doing it as much. But when it happens it only last for a few seconds . Will she ever be able to pony ring or lead with this problem or is she doomed as a compainion pony only in her future with this problem? I dont want to do any damage to her fetlock . I cant seem to find much about this on the internet.

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
GoldBarRanch said:
I have a 5 year old pony that I got and she has a locking fetlock that locks when she gets stressed or bolts. They lady I got her from said the vet told her with excersize it would get stronger and stop . I dont know much about her past but she is still very skiddish and untrusting. Im guessing this was a trailer accident but I was told is common in Minis? I was wondering if some glucosamine would help and a fetlock boot for support . I was spending alot of one on one with her and it seemed she stopped doing it as much. But when it happens it only last for a few seconds . Will she ever be able to pony ring or lead with this problem or is she doomed as a compainion pony only in her future with this problem? I dont want to do any damage to her fetlock . I cant seem to find much about this on the internet.
Whats a fetlock/locking fetlock?

Sorry wish I could help, i can only wish you Good Luck!!

GoldBarRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Fetlock is like the ankle joint in a human. When she gets spooked and tenses up it locks into place for a few seconds and then releases. Im hopeing someone with exspience with this will help out soon.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Locking stifles are disgustingly common in poorly-bred minis. I have one that did it any time her feet got a little long between the ages of 2 and 4 years of age, fortunately, she seems to have outgrown it. This is the first time I've heard of a locking fetlock, hope someone can help you figure out how to get your girl doing better!