My goat is lame

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She is a dry yearling. Lame on one front leg. No swelling or anything that can be seen.
She is eating OK.

Please advise.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
You could always give her some Banamine or aspirin for pain and swelling. Did you check her foot and leg over well?

HankTheTank

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is there anything in their pen she could have stepped on? Have you trimmed her hooves recently? Sometimes if you accidentally cut a little too much off their hooves they will limp for a while. You could check between the toes to make sure she didn't get anything lodged in there.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She is up to date on the trimming, but it was not recent. What is the dosage for asprin?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Pain Relief

Asprin 325 mg per 10# of body weight orally

Ibuprofen(liquid) 2x childrens dose by weight orally (Do NOT use more than 48 hours)

Banamine (Rx)0.25 ml / 25# IM injection

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks. Vet was out today. She splinted the leg, my horse vet is coming to do xrays tomorrow.
Hopefully it is just some pulled tendons from getting her hoof caught in the hay rack or gate or something.

:fl

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
i felt really stupid. took a "lame" goat to the vet. he looked her all over. trimmed her feet. lameness gone. he said just a little bit of hoof turning under can be enough for them to limp. so any limping goat gets feet trimmed, usually fixes the problem

Bunny-kids

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hope you find out what it is.

I had one that limped and I checked her over, and saw nothing at first. But she kept limping. Eventually I found a TINY spine from a tree lodged in the cleft of her hoof. After I removed it, she stopped limping, so I'm sure that's what it was.

Guess not too likely in your case though, since you and the vet have already checked. Hope she is fine.