N.D Breeding Question

fiset94

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a N.D that was bred in March. We brought her to the Vet a couple weeks back and it was confirmed ( Via Ultra sound) that she was NOT preg. So... We bred her again last week.

My question is.. How many times would you breed a N.D before you decided that they can't get pregnant?

She is 2 years old and has never had any kids.. or been bred previously.

Any experience with this would be appreciated. :)

Michele

Fluffygal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
How old or young was the buck used?
If this was the first attempt I would try again. My buck is young and going through the figuring things out phase. Back in March Bella busted into his pen for some fun time. The breeding did not take due to Abel's inexperience. She is back with him now as I am letting them try again. Abel is over 6 months now and is getting it right this time. However, Bella is stuck with him till the end of June just to make sure. Abel is very happy as he is getting lots of practice.

Anyway, it could be that the buck she bred with just did not seal the deal or she may have been past her heat in which her window was closed.
Just give her another chance at it.

fiset94

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
He is almost a year old... I brought her to a farm that let me keep her there until they felt that she was bred. He has bred with my other doe and she is preg. with twins - and he has bred several other does at this other farm as well... with wonderful kids born.

I gave it t another shot with this buck.... but after this ( if she doesn't take) should I assume that she can't get preg... or would you try 3 times before making that decision?

Michele

Fluffygal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That may be a good question for one of the more experienced folks to answer.
If she cycles normally she should be able to be bred when she is in heat as they cycle every 21 days.
Some does are hormonal screamers when in heat and others can be pretty sneaky about it. The window when in heat is really a small one and can be easily missed.

Being she was never bred before it could be that her window was just missed or she was not sure about letting the buck do his thing as it was a first for her. Hopefully the secong time she will take for you. Trying another time would be up to you really on whether you feel it is worth the gas money and/or buck fees to keep trying. You may decide it more cost effect to keep her as a pet and brush control or sell her to someone else for brush control & pet.

If buck fees is involved I would probably not go for round 3; but that would just be my opinion on it.

Suburbanfarmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I had a ND doe that it took 3 times before she took. But she ended up delivering 3 healthy babies as a FF. If you like her give her another chance or two.
Just my 2 cents.
-K

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We always leave ours together for a month.

Some people have good success, "driveway breeding" that is taking her to a buck when you see signs of heat. But, it is easy to be too early or too late.

fiset94

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well..

We took her to the vet for an U.S ( She was due in OCT.) and Nada. :he This is the 2nd attempt - we are going to try one more time with her... and this time we are going to bring along another doe as a backup.. if she doesn't take.. maybe this other doe will. :fl

Michele

ThornyRidgeII

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
is there confirmation that this buck has actually produced before? That would be my first guess.. what about size wise.. are the buck and doe comparable in size or at least buck a bit bigger. I have never bred any of my goats before 1.5 -2 years of age.. helps them mature out.. so at this point I would not totally panic. I am not an advocate of driveway or wham bam breedings.. I have my own bucks to choose from and never hard to tell which doe is in full heat.. during that cycle I usually pair them up in a pen for a day or so.. or at least put them together a few times (separate from anyone else) and give them some time. sure sign it is a "good take" is her curling her backside under after deed. Thankfully I have never had an issue it seems with going past first breeding attempt.. apparently my guys and gals are fertile myrtles and freds!!! good luck!