NDG having trouble on milking stand

EweAreKiddingMe!

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a NDG named Annie and she is TERRIBLE on the milking stand. She kicks and the worst problem is that she holds the milk in, she refused to give me any milk! We gave her baby to a friend (in return she is going to send a ram and buck over in a couple months) 2 days ago,and my sister managed to milk her but she is down with a sore throat. Any advice would be great!!!

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can try to out persistent her, but some Nigerian Dwarf goats are just witches on the stand and will always be. Tying her back feet to the back of the stand so she can't get them over the edge of the bucket but can still eat and putting a bucket under her may help. Keep food in front of her. Milk into a small, light container and dump into a larger container as you go. Good luck.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ever watched a kid nurse? They bump the doe! Plus, if kicking, nervous, scared. You can use soft hobbles for that but, I prefer trying to just try the calming with rubbing & scritches. Start on her back, work down sides to a belly rub. Soft cloth & warm water wipe her udder & teats. Now as you begin to milk, hand around teat, bump her udder like a kid would when they want let down & are suckling, then compress. Might take a few tries. During day, beyond milking, put her on stand -- handful of feed or hay, belly & udder rubs and let her down.

I'm assuming it's her first milking experience -- maybe yours. They learn. Sometimes I have to put my head into their side while I milk to help steady them, for a few times. Fun, right? :lol:

Another thing...being NDG her teats may be small an more difficult for you to hold and get a grip.

Hope that helps.

Other milkers will respond soon, more suggestions. Hey guys -- @frustratedearthmother @Ridgetop, see @rachels.haven already replied🤣. She's right, attitude with NGDs

Last edited:

EweAreKiddingMe!

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ever watched a kid nurse? They bump the doe! Plus, if kicking, nervous, scared. You can use soft hobbles for that but, I prefer trying to just try the calming with rubbing & scritches. Start on her back, work down sides to a belly rub. Soft cloth & warm water wipe her udder & teats. Now as you begin to milk, hand around teat, bump her udder like a kid would when they want let down & are suckling, then compress. Might take a few tries. During day, beyond milking, put her on stand -- handful of feed or hay, belly & udder rubs and let her down.

I'm assuming it's her first milking experience -- maybe yours. They learn. Sometimes I have to put my head into their side while I milk to help steady them, for a few times. Fun, right? :lol:

Another thing...being NDG her teats may be small an more difficult for you to hold and get a grip.

Hope that helps.

Other milkers will respond soon, more suggestions. Hey guys -- @frustratedearthmother @Ridgetop, see @rachels.haven already replied🤣. She's right, attitude with NGDs
Thank you all for repying! She is a first freshener, and this is my first time milking on my own. The little witch is on the stand(not secured) and screaming at me(in my house) for grain!

EweAreKiddingMe!

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hey, that's a good start! She wants to be there.
Yeah, I've been training her to get on there since she was 3 months preggo, but when I tried to milk her today she was kicking and then when I tried to tie her legs down she wouldn't let me! I was able to get a few squirts of milk out though