Need Advice: Should I Stay or Should I Go?

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have four does about ready to kid. I don't know the EXACT date, except maybe around the 25th :rolleyes: because the buck was with my girls the entire time.

I have a conference I'm supposed to attend this weekend. My room and travel are basically paid for.

Ligaments are still there. Udders are big. They have some smallish discharge. They look ready to explode and their stomachs have dropped. I leave tomorrow night until Monday morning. I'm a wreck. :barnie

What would you do? :idunno Help!

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you have someone you trust to watch your does, then I'd say go. Bet all your girls read the doe code and will still be preggo when you get back...and if you go...enjoy :)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
They will kid with or without you so maybe this is more an emotional decision? How well would you handle it if they did kid and there was a problem? If they don't kid this weekend will you be really disappointed that you missed the conference?
I scheduled other things around our kidding dates... I am not willing to possibly lose kids or a doe if one gets in trouble.
That's me though, I have a small herd and feel like I need to be there. We had 3 goats kid in 2 days, yesterday and today... had to help with 2 does.

Sky- you are a wonderful worryful goat mom. Yes, I know worryful isn't a word. ;) How important is your conference?

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Southern by choice said:
They will kid with or without you so maybe this is more an emotional decision? How well would you handle it if they did kid and there was a problem? If they don't kid this weekend will you be really disappointed that you missed the conference?
I scheduled other things around our kidding dates... I am not willing to possibly lose kids or a doe if one gets in trouble.
That's me though, I have a small herd and feel like I need to be there. We had 3 goats kid in 2 days, yesterday and today... had to help with 2 does.

Sky- you are a wonderful worryful goat mom. Yes, I know worryful isn't a word. ;) How important is your conference?
Well, it IS cold out and I'm concerned that a kid could freeze to death. The does are important, so I'm understandably worried. I want to give them the best chance of survival. While my husband is clever, I'm not sure that I wouldn't get a panicked call at the conference about a stuck kid or some other problem. Being 13 hours away by train and car, I'm not sure what I could do there.

We have no decent goat vets within 50 miles.

:rolleyes:

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yup...I agree...would stay home. Originally I was thinking that if someone was watching them and there was a problem, they could call a vet...but since this isn't an option...don't think I'd chance it.

For me...I schedule things around lambing time since I could not bear to leave...but then I am kind of a worry wart person when it comes to my girls. Plus, there is a vet availablility problem in our area too...no such thing as just call a vet for sheep...none in the area, but luckily all us sheeple people in my area, including us...are on call for everyone if they phone needing help...day or night.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
bonbean01 said:
Yup...I agree...would stay home. Originally I was thinking that if someone was watching them and there was a problem, they could call a vet...but since this isn't an option...don't think I'd chance it.

For me...I schedule things around lambing time since I could not bear to leave...but then I am kind of a worry wart person when it comes to my girls. Plus, there is a vet availablility problem in our area too...no such thing as just call a vet for sheep...none in the area, but luckily all us sheeple people in my area, including us...are on call for everyone if they phone needing help...day or night.
Well to make matters worse, I called my sister who said, "Why don't you put them in a warm place?" :th I guess she doesn't get livestock, the heartache of a dead kid or doe, nor how much money I stand to lose if I lose a doe or a baby.

I did a quick mental calculation on the cost to make sure my emotions weren't affecting the bottom line. Assuming 1-2 babies per doe, I'm looking at $400-$800 worth of kids this round. Hmm. That's real money. Losing a baby is like throwing a C-note out the window. I cancelled the convention and apologized. I've got to get a buck pen made this spring and plan the kiddings in March and April. :idunno

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Southern by choice said:
:hugs I know this was a hard decision. Your such a soft heart, I think you'll be glad you did. :)
Thanks for the kind words. I'm not sure about having a soft heart. :rolleyes: We just slaughtered a wether for freezer camp and I'm bottle feeding the boer x buckling to be wethered and butchered months from now. I hunt a lot too.

I just don't want critters to suffer, regardless of what happens. I just know I'd feel guilty. (I've been a basket case when it came time to put down my really old sled dogs or when I lost an animal due to illness that even the vet couldn't save) :/ It's really tough, but it's part of animal ownership.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, it's good to hear someone else is as big a worry wort as I am.

Last year Dh's family reunion was schedule for the same weekend 3 of my girls were due to kid.

I stayed home and took care of my goats.

DH's family was not happy about it, I can assure you.

DonnaBelle

Latest posts