Nest box suggestions

sagewoman

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What do you use for nest boxes? I have three rabbits due to kindle and I am short on nest boxes. I don't want to spend $$$s right now and was wondering what people have used instead of the usual manufactured ones.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I took one of the metal ones and traced it out on a scrap piece of plywood that I got from the hardware store cut out and nailed them together.
They cost me $3 each.

LadyIsabelle2011

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Or if you don't have any wood you can use on of those little short storage tubs and attach it to the pen with wire.
Failing that, in a pinch you can pile a bunch of hay in the pen and let the mom build her nest that way, I provided all my does with nest boxes but they all choose to build theirs that way instead. :rolleyes:

Like this:

333511-M.jpg

Or this with a hole cut for a door:

tubs.jpg

A wooden or metal one is all ways better though. ;)

DianeS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I had a surprise litter one time when all my nestboxes were already in use. So I gave that doe a cardboard box. It was fine, lasted a few days until I could get a real one in there instead. Of course there's a risk they'll chew up the box, so I'd use a bigger one than you'd usually use, and make sure it's STUFFED with hay so if the box gets torn up there will still be enough padding and warmth for the kits.

Isthelifeforme

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I ordered 2 more metal ones but temporarily I have a litter in a cardboard box right now. They definitely chew it up and it won't be useful for anything else but it works in the meantime.

Latest posts