Netherland Dwarf thread

2seth2

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
here you can post pictures and talk about netherland dwarfs!

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
OK, I'll go first! :)

I adopted a ND (all black doe, 17 wks old) from a co-worker. The co-worker made a quick entry into rabbits, then made a quick exit. Not the hobby he thought. Not sure what I'll do with a ND, but my kids like her. Came from a good home; in good shape when I got her.

First question: what do I need to know about NDs specifically that would be different from large rabbits? All my other rabbits save one are meat breeds - NZ mixes.

Second question: What is the opinion on breeding a ND doe to a Dutch buck? Would I be endangering her in any way at any point from breeding to birth?

Third question: are ND a bit more aggressive breed? When handling her, she has come at me a couple times when I go to get her out of the cage. She nipped at me once. Normal for the breed, or unique to this one?

2seth2

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
brentr said:
OK, I'll go first! :)

I adopted a ND (all black doe, 17 wks old) from a co-worker. The co-worker made a quick entry into rabbits, then made a quick exit. Not the hobby he thought. Not sure what I'll do with a ND, but my kids like her. Came from a good home; in good shape when I got her.

First question: what do I need to know about NDs specifically that would be different from large rabbits? All my other rabbits save one are meat breeds - NZ mixes.

Second question: What is the opinion on breeding a ND doe to a Dutch buck? Would I be endangering her in any way at any point from breeding to birth?

Third question: are ND a bit more aggressive breed? When handling her, she has come at me a couple times when I go to get her out of the cage. She nipped at me once. Normal for the breed, or unique to this one?
1. Netherlands need smaller wire on the cage so there feet don't go through and a stress board. They take less food than big rabbits

2.nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! the babies would get to big isnside her and and cause alot of problems and death risk. it is big doe to smaller buck. if she is 5 to 6 lbs she is fine but then she is not a netherland

3.Most dwarf does are a little aggressive some aren't and bucks usally are fine

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Love my small bunnies.

X2 on all the answers from 2seth2.

Finding out my males are just sweet. More aggressive to other bunnies but not to me or DH. But want to add that all bunnies are individuals. Though they may be from the same breed, they are all different in their own ways.

Willard I believe is my Purebred Netherland Dwarf. Kreacher I believe is a Purebred Polish. Dobby is a Sable Marten. Will be posting pics here and joining in on the fun with the Netherland Dwarf contest. I say believe, because they really have no pedigree, which I don't mind. These bunnies will always be pets. And have taught me TONS on what bunnies are all about.

Hope more come on and brag about their Netherlands. :)

2seth2

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
if you belive your rabbit is pruebreed then it is cause you can't be proved wrong :celebrate

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
2seth2 said:
if you belive your rabbit is pruebreed then it is cause you can't be proved wrong :celebrate
So true! I truly chuckle inside when people say purebred. But the best we can judge is usually the answer you hear. I truly believe there are no purebred anything any more. We have no idea where there genetic line lies. Its all an approximate or estimate. We are relying on exterior looks, size, color, but unless you have a genetic line, you really don't know. Even in Europe, no one really kept valid records. In the Second World War, Europeans, lots of them, relied on rabbit for food. Just like some do here now.

Rabbits are just fun. And trying to figure out what they really are is fun as well. :)

2seth2

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
if you have a pegdigree you kno where it is from so they are helpful

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
2seth2 said:
if you have a pegdigree you kno where it is from so they are helpful
I don't think I'm that hung up on pedigree or purebred when it comes to my pets. They are bunnies, I love them, don't care what they really are.

Regarding pedigree though, especially when I really sit down and get my rabbitry started, it comes to whether I want to first go show, which then pedigrees a must, or go meat. Still truly on the fence with that, but at least I have my options open.

ARBA has an excellent way to trace lines if you want pedigree. I'm leaning towards smaller rabbits, due to space, so focusing on show and pets would be my best right now for success.

Meat rabbits are more on what meat you have on your rabbit than pedigree. Mixing breeds to get the best meat rabbit is the key. Something that I know is in my future since I want to be self sufficient and raise my own meat.

Netherland Dwarf, as this is the thread to discuss, is IMO more of a Show/Pet rabbit than a Meat. Going to a breeder, like yourself who has documents or time line of your rabbits will help those who want to continue the breed or enhance their stock know what they will get in their nest box. Well, give you a little idea of what's going in be in the nest box. Sometimes even with a time line, something back generations pop up to surprise.

Genetics is an art. Trying to find the perfect specimen. Just like photography. Just with rabbits, you have to be more responsible. :)

2seth2

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
i think a netherland is barley and orderve.

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We thought about getting Netherlands Dwarves. Kinda went with French Angoras instead for our fourth and (for now) final breed. I like the extensive colors though and the orange NDs are my favorite! You can show/pedigree meat rabbits, we do!

CYG