Never get chicks from chicken show or feed stores

Bedste

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My chickens were diagnosed with Mereks disease and all were culled yesterday.... Very sad day..... but now onward and upward and looking forward to clean fresh start...

Texas A&M said it came from chicks purchased at the local feed stores or the chicken show. He said ONLY buy chicks from an authorized hatchery. He also said even walking through a chicken show at your local fair you should change clothes and dispose of your shoes before going home to your birds. Auuuggghh!

God Bless Southern by choice for all the moral support and prayers!

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry :hugs

I learned this the hard way also two springs ago...not just the ones I bought, but some of my favourite hens too.

meadow1view

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sorry this happened to you.

Just wanted to state that our feed stores are supplied by the local hatchery(which is nationally known). In fact, it is cheaper to buy chicks from the feed store than it is directly from the hatchery that supplies the feed store.

Bedste

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I do know of a local feed store that gets their chicks from Ideal.... awesome hatchery, but I also know of two possibly three feed stores in Montgomery County who also buy chicks from individuals and sell them. I ordered directly from Ideal Hatchery and was only charged $2.29 a chick.... along with a $7 fee for my order being less than 100 birds. They do NOT charge Shipping and Handling. I would have spent close to $7 on gas on the two way trip.. I also was charged 10 cents a bird to get them mareks vaccinated at hatch. They should be here tomorrow. http://www.ideal-poultry.com/

Bedste

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am keeping the new chicks in a brooder box in a different area on the property away from coops for the next 2 months...

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
A lot of hatcheries offer to vaccinate your day old chicks against Mereks disease for a small fee. It may be a good idea if the virus is already present on your property, as I do not know how long is persists.

EllieMay

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The smaller local feed stores sometimes get their chicks from local farms.
However, the larger feed stores (like Tractor Supply) get their chicks from the same hatcheries you would buy your chicks from.
Buying from these larger feed stores eliminates the need to pay for shipping and the requirement of buying in large numbers.
:)

rittert3

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just food for thought, couldn't the hatchery chicks be contaminated at the feed store by another customer before you get them? Sorry for your loss Bedste