New chicken coup

datdude

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I I'm new at rasing chickens and would like to get some input on what I should have and do before getting chickens any advice would help alot

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Legions are a great choice.

You'll need a secure, predator proof place for them at night. That usually means that all openings are covered in 1/2" hardware cloth. Chicken wire is for keeping chickens in, not for keeping predators out. 😉
Then you'll need to decide if they'll live in a pen or wander loose. Mine live in a pen. It's roughly 50'x100', 6' high livestock fence with a 'net' over top made from fishing line. I have hawks & (used to have) dogs so my girls never roamed unprotected.
You'll need a way to feed & water them in all weather so be thinking about winter water & feed stealing pests.
In your coop you'll need nesting boxes, roosts, & if you're inclined that way, a poop shelf.
Nesting boxes will likely be shared so 1 or 2 per dozen birds will probably do.
2x4's work great as roosts. Mounted with the wide side up, not the narrow one. And higher than your nest box!

In everything that you do, consider how you'll get in, around, under. How you'll clean. How you'll reach to fish out a broody, eggs, a snake .... or a dead bird.

Our sister forum has a TON of great info with pictures. That's where I started.
Good luck & let us know how it goes.

datdude

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Legions are a great choice.

You'll need a secure, predator proof place for them at night. That usually means that all openings are covered in 1/2" hardware cloth. Chicken wire is for keeping chickens in, not for keeping predators out. 😉
Then you'll need to decide if they'll live in a pen or wander loose. Mine live in a pen. It's roughly 50'x100', 6' high livestock fence with a 'net' over top made from fishing line. I have hawks & (used to have) dogs so my girls never roamed unprotected.
You'll need a way to feed & water them in all weather so be thinking about winter water & feed stealing pests.
In your coop you'll need nesting boxes, roosts, & if you're inclined that way, a poop shelf.
Nesting boxes will likely be shared so 1 or 2 per dozen birds will probably do.
2x4's work great as roosts. Mounted with the wide side up, not the narrow one. And higher than your nest box!

In everything that you do, consider how you'll get in, around, under. How you'll clean. How you'll reach to fish out a broody, eggs, a snake .... or a dead bird.

Our sister forum has a TON of great info with pictures. That's where I started.
Good luck & let us know how it goes.
Thank you so much for your help now I can plan on how I will biuld a pen for them so thank you for letting me know and so the hardwire net is best for arand the pin and I was thanking about 16 nest for inside the house and roost polls for arand the outside in the pin