New Goats - Is this normal????

DouglasPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I just got my goats today. Yea!! They are both nubians. One of them is a 2 year old that freshened in April and the other was born in March.

Here is my question..........We have only been home just over an hour.....and they are SOOOOOOO LOUD!!! Is this normal? It almost sounds like they are screaming! LOL (laughing, but it really isn't funny). I have been going out to check on them and they still yell, but if I stand right by them they quiet down. What do I do??????

I did talk to our nearest neighbor to let them know that we have goats and that they are "settling in". :/

chicken fruit

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Theyre NUBIANS!! Nubians are sooo loud and quite often animal control officers have investigated calls of alleged animal abuse only to find Nubian goats. lol. They are SO loud! They're known for it as a breed.

Once they simmer down the screaming should only happen when theyre in heat. Dont worry about it. lol.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't know abotu Nubians but my goats (Boar, kiko, spanish) all scream when they are stressed and when they know they are supposed to be fed/let out.

Since it is a new environment, this is causing them some stress. The babies sound enough like human babies my nieghbor came over and checked once.

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Congratulations on your goats!

I have nubian crosses and they are just as loud, but mostly when I first get home from work - they think I'll just drop everything to feed them! Sorry, but my people family comes first! :gig

It's a new environment - did they come from the same breeder? If so, that should help as they are at least used to each other...

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had a neighbor tell me that he actually drove down to my place once to see if everything was OK, only to find that there was nobody home.. Said he kept hearing someone yell "HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!"

Nubians. It's who they are. :gig

DouglasPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
glenolam said:
Congratulations on your goats!

I have nubian crosses and they are just as loud, but mostly when I first get home from work - they think I'll just drop everything to feed them! Sorry, but my people family comes first! :gig

It's a new environment - did they come from the same breeder? If so, that should help as they are at least used to each other...
Yes, they did come from the sale breeder. I am sure it does help, however right now they just seem to be feeding of each other.....if one yells the other yells, and so on. Thanks! :)

DouglasPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses. It makes me not as nervous to know it is normal behavior. I will try not to stress now. ;)

Mea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
DouglasPeeps said:
Thank you all for your responses. It makes me not as nervous to know it is normal behavior. I will try not to stress now. ;)
Dunno if This will help You 'not stress'...but....We have Nubians. Every year in the kid crop we have one...if not more, that scream :barnie For no apparent reason. It can reach the point that i am ready to hang them up by their long beautiful ears !:he We have even had one that yodeled !!

Feeding time here Never comes as quickly as Any of the critters would like ! Sheep are baa-haaing.... Goaties Maaaaaaaing.... i think even the chickens get in on the ruckus, but at that point i'm too busy to pay much attention.:p

Especially if they are new to You and Your home the Nubians will be quite vocal. We always figure about 3 days of uproar, then things semi calm down...if we're lucky....

It will also take a bit of time for them to bond with each other. then that should help comfort them. While it is hard... if at all possible i would Not run out every time they start up... that tends to re-enforce the " Someone comes when we call " attitude. Goats learn quickly how to manipulate us mere humans.:D

They really are Neat creatures... and a lot of fun to try and out-guess !

DouglasPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Mea said:
DouglasPeeps said:
Dunno if This will help You 'not stress'...but....We have Nubians. Every year in the kid crop we have one...if not more, that scream :barnie For no apparent reason. It can reach the point that i am ready to hang them up by their long beautiful ears !:he We have even had one that yodeled !!

Feeding time here Never comes as quickly as Any of the critters would like ! Sheep are baa-haaing.... Goaties Maaaaaaaing.... i think even the chickens get in on the ruckus, but at that point i'm too busy to pay much attention.:p

Especially if they are new to You and Your home the Nubians will be quite vocal. We always figure about 3 days of uproar, then things semi calm down...if we're lucky....

It will also take a bit of time for them to bond with each other. then that should help comfort them. While it is hard... if at all possible i would Not run out every time they start up... that tends to re-enforce the " Someone comes when we call " attitude. Goats learn quickly how to manipulate us mere humans.:D

They really are Neat creatures... and a lot of fun to try and out-guess !
Yes, thank you, it does help to hear!