fletch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello from East Tennessee. I have a small farm with lots of critters. 12 goats, 44 chickens, 15 turkeys, 5 guineas, 8 ducks, 11 cats, and 2 farm dogs. They all free range over approx. 4 acres which is heavily wooded and then go inside their own pens at night.

I have a goat question. My alpha male, Frank, is about 250 lbs. and has a hearty appetite. This evening he was pawing at the floor of the stall and would only nibble on hay. Very unusual. Every now and then he groans. I haven't seen him urinate, but he doesn't posture like with a kidney stone. He stretched out briefly on the floor and then stood back up again. I'm thinking either he ate too much of some branches etc. or he is constipated. (does that even happen in goats? ). He doesn't appear more bloated than usual and doesn't seem interested in water. I took his 348 away and let him eat a little hay only.
Any other suggestions?

All the other goats are fine. They all get mixed grass hay twice daily and a CoOp ration called "348" in addition to foraging. Nothing has changed dietarily for the last 6 years.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
The first thing I do with any goat that seems off is to take their temp. With the groaning and stretching out it seems like he may well be in pain from some source. Does he look bloated? What about parasites?

I'm sorry I don't have an answer. Seems like his symptoms are kind of vague right now. I agree with removing his grain and leaving the hay.

fletch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I haven't checked his temp. It's only me here and he is fairly mean. Already gored me once last year. Gotten more cranky and dominant as he gets older. Thank goodness he was wethered years ago!!!!
I will offer him baking soda (2 tbsp I think) in a syringe with water. Wish me luck to return in one piece.,,,
This morning I can see that he is bloated, but no longer groaning. He is mostly sitting down. I offered a little hay which he declined and also some fresh water. If GI issue, wouldn't it be more beneficial if I could get him up and walking about than just lying around?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
All the things that others have suggested... could have eaten something that has caused the bloating with lush green growth out there now... bloating is common in cattle turned out on lush pasture that has alot of alfalfa or other legumes...
One thing, and this is not going to make me popular... WHY in the world would you keep a wethered goat that is cranky and mean???? That has "gored " you this year???? Send him down the road through the auction barn and not have to worry about getting hurt. Bad enough if he was some highly bred male that you needed to keep for breeding, that was worth a small king's ransom.... but a mean, cranky, dominant wether? I hope for your sake he does not hurt you ... but wishing you luck??? That is being foolish on your part to keep an animal that will hurt you.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep ... He'd be gone from here, after your telling his personality. Anyhow, bloat can be a bad thing!! There are bloat meds to help. Less expensive than a vet. I'd drench him with that baking soda, not just a couple sips. If bad enough, he'll rupture inside. You can puncture his rumen with a trocar but, need to know where, how, what to do after. Vet lesson.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just reading this thread now, and @farmerjan and @Mini Horses beat me to it. Any animal that has an attitude here is gone. That includes crazy ones as well. No need for me or one of my dogs who work with me to get hurt. We all take enough risks just doing things, no need to have one that can hurt -- which of course can cost a lot of $$$ in the end. Plenty of good animals out there.
Fix the bloat, and ship him off to the market.

fletch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Frank has an attitude. That’s all. I would get rid of him if he were constantly mean, but he just wants to control his area of the barn sometimes. No problems with him since I got something called Pet Corrector. Just a spray or two sends him running.
As for the bicarbonate, he seems a little better. Think I’ll just watch for a bit and repeat later if no big improvement.
No offense taken as to getting rid of the old boy. To each his own, right? He has met his match with me for sure. It’s a mutual respect thing between us at this point. But truth be known I am much meaner than he is.