new milking goat- what do i need

happymom

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi, I have 2 Dwarf Nigerians coming in 2 weeks, one is lactating!! What do I need to milk her???? Just joined, very new to farm animals on my suberban lot!! thanks

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
happymom said:
Hi, I have 2 Dwarf Nigerians coming in 2 weeks, one is lactating!! What do I need to milk her???? Just joined, very new to farm animals on my suberban lot!! thanks
nigerian sized stanchion: to hold her while milking, hoof trimming, shot administration etc
Stainless steel milk pail (caprine supply is my favorite since its cheep plus it has a nice nigerian sized pail)
I would get some good plastic baggies to place ice in (you can place baggies full of ice in the milk pail while milking so the milk cools ASAP, some people don't do this but when i don't get it cool fast enough i find the milk gross taisting. I would hate for a new goat owner to be turned off of the milk right away!
Either baby wipes or teat wipes, just something to clean her with.
Close knitted hankerchief or coffee filter to filter the milk through when your done (to remove any bits of debris that get in the milk)
an either 1 QT or 1/2 gallon GLASS milk jar (don't use plastic)
have fun!

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use two of a set of nesting stainless steel bowls. I put ice in the big one, and place the smaller one on top of it. I milk into a 4 cup measuring cup and pour it into the stainless several times during the process. I have one of those plastic mesh coffee filters that fits right into the top of my cup, so it gets filtered the first time as I milk. I pour it through the filter when I put it into the stainless bowl. After I am done, I thoroughly rince the filter and pour it through the filter one more time into glass quart jars. I mark the top of my jars 1,2,3 etc. and rotate them using the oldest milk first. Clean up is done in dishwasher and no hassle. I cannot tell the goat's milk from store bought.

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Mamaboid said:
I use two of a set of nesting stainless steel bowls. I put ice in the big one, and place the smaller one on top of it. I milk into a 4 cup measuring cup and pour it into the stainless several times during the process. I have one of those plastic mesh coffee filters that fits right into the top of my cup, so it gets filtered the first time as I milk. I pour it through the filter when I put it into the stainless bowl. After I am done, I thoroughly rince the filter and pour it through the filter one more time into glass quart jars. I mark the top of my jars 1,2,3 etc. and rotate them using the oldest milk first. Clean up is done in dishwasher and no hassle. I cannot tell the goat's milk from store bought.
plastic mesh coffee filters?

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Stand/ Stanchion
Milking pail
Hoof trimmers
Leash
Udder Wipes/ Wash
Bag Balm
Alfalfa
Dairy Goat Grain
Loose minerals
Milk strainer (they have nice ones At Lehman's; large and small)
Milk Straining filters

I'll add more if I think of it. :)

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is the one I use

4649_dsc03242.jpg

happymom

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
thanks guys, the advice is awesome!!! I'm deff gonna try the ice baggies, and the plastic coffee filter!!! can't wait for my first taste!! :) though most of it will go to the baby :)

marliah

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I use the Henry milker and love it. It's a closed system, no filtering required. I just milk then transfer to a cold mason jar and pop it in the fridge. I also give my doe a wipe down with iodine udder wash before milking and a spray of fight bac when we are done :) so far so good.

GoatGirl <3

Just born
Reaction score
For milking you need wet wipes to clean the udder before milking that are non-alcohol based so they won't dry out the udder, some stuff called fight bac (you spray it on the teats after milking to prevent mastitis and it can be bought at any farmers store), a strip cup (it's just a cup that use to put the first few streams of milk into to make sure the milk looks okay, you never drink the first few squirts of milk) and a milk bucket! There are several videos on YouTube that can teach you how to milk a goat of your not sure.