new to meat rabbit keeping i have a few questions

loretta212

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
so i have recently recived 3 good sized rabbit cages and 2 female rabbits. they are 1 1/2 old and have not had any litters yet. they are a silver fox and a palomino. these girls are good sized and i have read they are good for meat. has anyone ever used these breeds before? When I do find a male is it ok if he is a little bigger then the girls? also at what age would you butcher? thank you

shan777

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
loretta212 said:
so i have recently recived 3 good sized rabbit cages and 2 female rabbits. they are 1 1/2 old and have not had any litters yet. they are a silver fox and a palomino. these girls are good sized and i have read they are good for meat. has anyone ever used these breeds before? When I do find a male is it ok if he is a little bigger then the girls? also at what age would you butcher? thank you
hi, I'm new too.

From what I know, they should be ok to breed, and would be recommended to breed them asap as after a certain time ( can't remember exactly) the old engine clogs seize up if not used!
Silver Fox are a great meat rabbit, palomino's are a good too, although take a little longer to develop.

Shouldn't matter if the buck is bigger than the girls as far as I'm aware.

The best age to butcher for tenderness wise is 8-10 weeks, although a target of around 4lb's or more would be ideal. This may take a little longer, depending on your breeds.
8-10 weeks- fryers
10-12 week- roasters
12 weeks on- stewers

Alot of people seem to butcher at around the 10-11 week mark. The rabbit is still tender, and has had a little more chance to put on some weight.

Any of the usuals in here please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope this helps

loretta212

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
thank you! i am getting a buck tomorrow! very excited i want to give them all a little time to settle in before i start breeding

hemet dennis

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
loretta212 said:
thank you! i am getting a buck tomorrow! very excited i want to give them all a little time to settle in before i start breeding
So what breed of buck ?

:old

shan777

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
loretta212 said:
Yeah good idea. Maybe couple of weeks or so

What breed of buck are you getting?

loretta212

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
not sure of the breed here is a pic he is about the size of the 2 females I have

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What is your purpose for the rabbits - family only production or sale of the rabbits? Why is that your buck choice? He doesn't match either of your does and with the differing ear types, you are setting up for some funny looking litters.

loretta212

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
sawfish99 said:
What is your purpose for the rabbits - family only production or sale of the rabbits? Why is that your buck choice? He doesn't match either of your does and with the differing ear types, you are setting up for some funny looking litters.
family only production and all of these rabbits were free and they have amazing personalities , very easy to handle, play well with my children. I figured if we are going to raise rabbit for meat we might as well be able to enjoy the parents as somewhat pets. if im going to be cleaning up after and taking care of them I wanted frendly easy to handle rabbits and this is what i ended up with