New Zealand Rabbit Kits question

JRabbits

Just born
Reaction score
My kits are now just a little over 3 weeks old and I was wondering if it was okay to take away all the rabbits at once so my family and I can handle them so they can become used to human contact.

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
JRabbits said:
My kits are now just a little over 3 weeks old and I was wondering if it was okay to take away all the rabbits at once so my family and I can handle them so they can become used to human contact.
Not a rabbit person but.,...

Why didn't you handle them when they were younger? From what I've heard the mother only nurses in the morning / night, so why not handle them when the mom is doing other stuff? And do you mean COMPLETELY take them away or just hold them for a bit then give them back...? Again, not a rabbit person, but just wondering ^.^ Best of luck with your babies! I've always wanted rabbits ^.^

DianeS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You mean take all of them out of mom's cage, play with them for a while, and put them back in with mom? Sure, that's just fine. So is taking them out one at a time, or in any other number combination.

Just don't keep them out for so long that they miss a feeding. (Usually dawn and/or dusk.) They are too young to wean at this age.

lexibot

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It's fine to handle them, just make sure they get fed (liek the others have said).

Also, do not wean rabbits until they are at LEAST 30 days old. 3 weeks is a bit too soon, even if they seem like they are fine, an extra week is better.

If they seem a little wild (and they will), you'll have to handle them everyday for a while, talk sweetly, give them small treats (NOT A LOT), and cuddle them.

I usually start handling them after they get fur, before they even open their eyes lol.

Isthelifeforme

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My schedule that I'm running at the minute is wean at 39 days old, saving one kit to stay with mom an extra week until 46 days when he joins his litter mates in the grow out cage.

I think this will reduce the chance of mastitits.

Prairiechick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It depends on the size of the litter, but I take one or two out, then another one or two a couple of days later, and so one. Large litters it will take a week to pull them all. I don't wean until 6-8 weeks, depending on weather and size of the litter and condition of the momma and how much they are eating. I don't count days, per se, but weeks and observing.