Newbie question

CESpeed

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My apologies if this has been asked before: I've read from several sources that Berkshire are regarded for having very tasty bacon and ham, which puts them on my short list because tasty is the goal :p ; however I really like the way Herefords look.

Can anyone tell about the taste of Herefords or what other breeds have a reputation for tastiness? Also, I noticed that people say it's more in what they are fed rather than the breed that them tasty. What would you suggest feeding them? I'm also planning to raise cattle and plan to have a field or barely hay since that seems to grow really well here. I'm in Hot Springs, AR.

Anyinformation well be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
In my opinion, there is not a huge amount of difference in taste between breeds of pigs. It has been my experience that fresh pork is always best, and if you raise a Hampshire, eat his/her meat for a year, and then butcher a Berkshire, the meat will tast better, at least till you butcher the next one, and that particular breed will instantly become your favorite. JMHO.

As to cattle, I would not suggest using an annual like hay barley, unless you plan to use it for hay. Grazing an annual grass like barley will work until it reaches maturity, and then the quality falls off quickly. Plan to plant a perennial grass of good quality for your particular area. Contact your local county extension agent for more information.

doo dah

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score