Nubian with clogged orifice/mastitis/something?

noobiechickenlady

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I've had Dixie almost a month and recently started noticing a difference in her left teat.
It's a little harder to start the milk on that side and when it does start I get the finger-over-waterhose spray effect. (excuse me while I wipe milk out of my eye...)
It takes about 15 squeezes to get a steady stream and it still appears that the orrifice on that side is smaller. Smaller stream, longer to milk out that side.
It was not like this in the beginning, after the initial getting used to each other period, I was able to milk out both sides fairly equally in the same amount of time.
There are no clumps, lumps, strings or blood & the milk does not look watery.
I am ordering a CMT today, should be here next week.

Any tips or advice is welcome :)

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is her udder more hot on one side than the other?

what are you using for teat dip? Could it be that something is clogging it when you ready her up for milking?

noobiechickenlady

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
No heat, her udder is warm all over, but not fever warm.

I'm using the Fiasco farm recipe, drop of blue Dawn, tablespoon of bleach & pint warm water as a wash & dip.

I don't double dip & I use paper towels to wash with right now.

noobiechickenlady

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Little more info, her udder is not swollen, red, hot or in any way different that I can see from when we first started milking. She's eating fine, good rumen, her condition dipped a bit when we first brought her home but she's recovering some now.

Her temps are normal (102.9 this morning), poops are normal (she did have a brief bout of clumpy poo a couple weeks ago, shortly after a big rain & warm weather. I did the 3 day treatment with the herbal wormer from Hoegger on all of them and it cleared right up, maybe 3 clumpies total, still with distinct pellets, only smushed together.

Should I put a warm pack on, cold pack? Massage? Peppermint oil?

I'll check back on Monday, as I do not have internet access at home.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
You might get more of a response if you post in the goat section. Some people have it set up to only be alerted for goat posts. I'm not sure what your next step would be.