Oathay for goats

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Much depends on the status of the bloom head. If it's baled and green, it'll mold in storage, fast. Obviously that can't be fed.

So your question presents many situations needing more info....is it baled, just fresh cut & raked to feed for that day, etc. 🤔

Last edited:

BellaM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you for your response.

I bought the bale, the hay is very dry but still green (in colour - see attached photo). I just want to make sure it's not too "hot" and won't give my goats bloat?

At the moment I'm giving them a handful or so with their regular hey (eragrostis) and they absolutely love it!

Attachments

• IMG20240810165454.jpg
    IMG20240810165454.jpg
    558.9 KB · Views: 28

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Color green vs uncured/fresh cut green, entirely different. Dried with color, ok. But you are right to mix with other they're getting to allow gut to adjust to different feed 👍 Most foragers like at hay.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree with @Mini Horses ... If it is green color but dry, then it was well made and cured. I used to try to find oat hay years ago for our sheep. They LOVED it and the grain in the heads was like feeding them grain in a trough. Takes a little bit to get them used to it , just like you are doing... If the price was right, you got a good deal. It is very nutritious when it is well cured like that but still has good color.
How are all your animals doing? Is it winter there? How cold do you get? We are going into fall so I am assuming you are looking at spring soon.

BellaM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Agree with @Mini Horses ... If it is green color but dry, then it was well made and cured. I used to try to find oat hay years ago for our sheep. They LOVED it and the grain in the heads was like feeding them grain in a trough. Takes a little bit to get them used to it , just like you are doing... If the price was right, you got a good deal. It is very nutritious when it is well cured like that but still has good color.
How are all your animals doing? Is it winter there? How cold do you get? We are going into fall so I am assuming you are looking at spring soon.
Yip, my goats love it! 😍

I've ordered another 10 bales because the price is good, especially for the quality.

It is winter and we've had a couple of cold snaps but only once or twice went into minus figures. Unfortunately not nearly cold enough to take care of bugs and whatnot. It's a month from Spring and it's already very warm during the day (80°F) 🫤 ... I'm actually dreading this Summer 😬.

Recently had a farm inspection and the inspector said my animals are in very good condition and my farm is so clean! 😂 ... So yes, my animals are doing well. I've got a pair of 2 week old doelings and my other Saanen is due any day from Tuesday.

Ducks, chickens and rabbits are doing their thing and I'm muddling along.

How are you and your animals doing?

Something I've learnt through this platform is that you have unbelievable predators. Even your rodents are something else?! 😂

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you might go into drought, buying more hay might be a good idea. Hay is plentiful here in East Texas this year, so I’m buying 10 more round bales to add to the 46 I already have. I use the small round bales because my tractor is too small to pick up the big ones. Last year we were in drought, prices shot up to $120 to $150 per bale. I had to dry lot my sheep for 2 1/2 months, so they didn’t over graze and kill the grass. If you have room, you might want to stock up as back up. If next hay season is good, then feed the old hay first and buy less new hay.

BellaM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If you might go into drought, buying more hay might be a good idea. Hay is plentiful here in East Texas this year, so I’m buying 10 more round bales to add to the 46 I already have. I use the small round bales because my tractor is too small to pick up the big ones. Last year we were in drought, prices shot up to $120 to $150 per bale. I had to dry lot my sheep for 2 1/2 months, so they didn’t over graze and kill the grass. If you have room, you might want to stock up as back up. If next hay season is good, then feed the old hay first and buy less new hay.
Excellent advice, thank you!