OH Gross! Bot eggs- please help! (Totally clueless)

TeamChaos

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So, we've got a nice old horse that lives on the farm. She doesn't belong to us, but the folks that brought her out have been absent for a years and we like her company. Anyway, tonite she was really trying to scratch the curve of her belly, in front of her hip. I went over to scratch and I discovered her belly is COVERED in tiny red ticks... and she's got hard abscesses w/ cheesy yellow goo (like big pimples). I was picking off the ticks when I noticed the tiny yellow eggs coating her legs and belly- they've got to be bot eggs.
My questions:

1. I was touching her, the eggs and the abscesses w/ my bare hands. Now I have the heeby jeebies. Am I at risk?

2. My sheep share the barn and pasture with her. Are the bots a risk to them??

3. I'm assuming we'll spend tomorrow w/ bot knives- cleaning her off far from the common areas. Any hints?

4. I assumed the abscesses were from ticks growing in to the swelling, is it more likely they are bot larvae?? Do I have to cut them out?

5. I read about the importance of worming the horse w/ an appropriate wormer after the first hard frost to eliminate the likelihood of them surviving 'til spring, any advice on a brand?

Oh man, my skin is crawling. UGH!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would recommend you re-post this under: Diseases-Horses, Mules, and Donkeys

I know nothing about horses but I noticed no one had responded which is unusual on here. I think you will get a better response. :)

DAVIS FARM

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
the only way you can get them is if you lick them or some how get them into your mouth..they go into your intestents and grow..take a scraper and scrape all the horses legs and under the belly...because they will lick them...thats who the worms are spread...through the licking to clean their coats..the flies are very smart...lol...and they will have the worms growing in them this winter...you need to go get you some wormer for the horses and make sure you worm them and everything else every 3 months so no one keeps infecting the rest of the farm through poop on the ground

meg09

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I do not know what a bot knife is, i would get a bot rock. Yes deworm her, horses should be dewormed roughly every three months, alternating the dewormer and types of worms it kills so the worms dont develop resistance. Ex Ivermectin then a diff wormer ( i cant think of the other names right now) Anyways scrub where the bot eggs are with the bot rock, then keep her abcess' CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. Warm water, diluted betadine solution. The biggest concern is infection, if infection sets in you will need a vet to prescribe antibioticss, probably wouldnt hurt to get some fly spray or a duo one that helps prevent flies and ticks, if you can find it. I have also heard boiling basil and using the basil boiled water concoction can prevent ticks as well ( wait till it cools and spray it on) although Ive never tried it myself. Oh and again i do not know what a bot knife is but i wouldnt cut her or any of the bots out if it causes lacerations...; but a bot rock can be used. Hope this helps!

meg09

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sorry I forgot answer your other questions! Agreed with davis farms for question one, and I do not have sheep, so Im not extremely sure if wool is appealing for flies/ticks to lay eggs... but it could be, just keep a bot rock handy, uf you raise sheep for meat then you shouldnt deworm them, I honestly dont know if you even deworm sheep... lol. Im a horse person lol good luck! As for dewormer brand imho doesnt matter, what kind it is matters like Ivermectin.