Ok, I'm really nervous

landis1659

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I sent a message a few months back about my buck getting in with my female and not knowing weather or not she was preggers. She is Saanen and is now 1 year old. We think it was possible that he got her back about the end of Aug. but were not really sure what to look for. They were only together for about 2 weeks at the time. My husband was out of town. When he got back he fixed the fence. Then we separated again. Until the middle of Oct. But she never really would let him near her then. So I was afaid that he got her is Aug. I put a baby moniter out in the barn and I've been keeping the chicken poop cleaned up, got everything ready I think. My husband built a kidding box that she sleeps in. We don't have a vet in the area close enough to come to us or to bring her too. The closest is 2 hours away and all I have is a car. So I wasn't able to bring her to one. I'm just getting nervous. She seems to be getting pretty fat and I'm worried that might become a problem too. I keep feeling her stomich everyday for changes. She's bulging out on bothsides but no bagging up yet. Am I going crazy for nothing??

Pepper

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
You might be safe....if she was bred the end of August, she would've kidded by now.

But I am unclear as to whether she was exposed to him in October? Sometimes the heat can be short and she could've let him have his way with her at night. If so, if it was the middle of October, it is time to start watching her udder. Gestation is about 5 months.

Go to www.fiascofarm.com and read up...there is a lot of great info. If she does get an udder, read up on how to check her ligaments. Start feeling for them now, so you will know how to find them and what they feel like normally.

Goats are very fertile little buggers!

landis1659

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
From what we saw, when we put them back together in Oct. she wouldn't let him near her. They were together untill the end of Dec. then he started getting too rough so we split them up again. Anyway I might of been off on the date, I wrote on the calender the middle Feb. possiable due date. But nothing as of yet. I'm concerned with the amount of weight she's putting on. I was told that it could make her kidding harder?? She is still kind of young. She was the smallest saanen in the heard, I wanted her that way since she was my first. It was a toss between her and a Nigerian. But I wanted more milk so I decided on the Saanen. But I'm afrain of her having a hard time with the labor because of her size. The buck wasn't any bigger so I think we might be ok there. I don't know why I was so worried about size, she's as gentle as a kitten. Anyway I guess I'm just anxious and worried.

Pepper

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If she was with the male from October to December, then she has a really long period of possibilities. Basically from March to May. If you really want to know, I would have a vet ultrasound her or you can have blood drawn and have a progesterone test done.

Latest posts