Ferazel

Just born
Reaction score
I have a Kunekune pregnant pig. I purchased her Oct 19, 2021 being told she was with the boar since May. I did a progesterone pee test Nov 25 which confirmed she was pregnant. Didn’t have an actual due date. If she was bred on the 19th, then she would be having piglets around Feb 12th (116days). All signs leading up to Feb 16 were indicating a normal pregnancy. She was expressing clear to grayish fluid from her teats leading up to the 16th. After the 16th she had a white odorless discharge from the vulva. Which stopped after a few days. As far as I can tell, her body condition is overweight. She’s even fat blind. It’s March 7th and she’s eating, drinking, pooping and peeing normally. She’s her normal self. I read somewhere that a white discharge can indicate that she is 2-3 weeks away from farrowing. Is it possible she’s still 2-3 weeks away, are the piglets dead already, or should I wait it out?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is unlikely she is still pregnant. Hogs carry 116 days on average. I have read somewhere that pot belly pigs carry about 15-20 days longer... don't know if that is true... but even so she is at the limit of time that she could still be pregnant. Her body may have reabsorbed the piglets or they could have mummified. Best thing is there is a vet that has any farm animal experience, then they might be able to help. The biggest problem I see with all of them is they are too fat... that is a problem for any animal of normal breeding capabilities.

Ferazel

Just born
Reaction score
It is unlikely she is still pregnant. Hogs carry 116 days on average. I have read somewhere that pot belly pigs carry about 15-20 days longer... don't know if that is true... but even so she is at the limit of time that she could still be pregnant. Her body may have reabsorbed the piglets or they could have mummified. Best thing is there is a vet that has any farm animal experience, then they might be able to help. The biggest problem I see with all of them is they are too fat... that is a problem for any animal of normal breeding capabilities.
I agree! It’s hard finding one that doesn’t just specialize in horses or cattle for my area. I had no idea that finding a pig vet would be so difficult in Southern Alberta, Canada. There’s one in Red Deer that I plan to look into tomorrow, and they do tele-health appointments.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could you put your location...South Alberta, Canada in your profile so some of us "older members":old can see where you are when we answer any of your posts. I think it is neat that we have several members from Canada now. Go up to your name right hand top, click and go down to account details, click and go down to location and put it in there. Thanks.

Ferazel

Just born
Reaction score
Could you put your location...South Alberta, Canada in your profile so some of us "older members":old can see where you are when we answer any of your posts. I think it is neat that we have several members from Canada now. Go up to your name right hand top, click and go down to account details, click and go down to location and put it in there. Thanks.
Hahahaha! Wiser members! And… done

Ferazel

Just born
Reaction score
I have news from the vet. She thinks it was a pseudo-pregnancy. It’s not decomposing babies, because she’d be super sick just after a few days. We’re gonna focus on helping her lose weight for the summer, then hoping she goes back into heat so she can be served by our boar. The next plan is to also get a gilt buddy for our sow, and separate the boys from them. Then hopefully she’ll go into a stronger heat.