Parrot mouth?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When the top over hangs, from the bottom jaw, looking like a parrot's beak. The bottom teeth don't meet up with the top of the gums.

I actually have a buckling this year that has a parrot mouth, first one ever. We will wether him.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
(I know this is in the goat section...but parrot mouth occurs in all species.)

These two sheep are twins to each other. The ram was born with a sound mouth and the ewe was born with a parrot mouth.

Sound Mouth:
4485_solid.jpg

Parrot Mouth:
4485_overbite.jpg

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I guess we should mention, that because their bottom teeth don't match up to the top gum line, it can be harder for the animal to graze. There isn't enough surface area for them to pinch and rip the grass off. And they can be unthrifty because of this if they are pastured animal.

It is a defect and genetic.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
I guess we should mention, that because their bottom teeth don't match up to the top gum line, it can be harder for the animal to graze. There isn't enough surface area for them to pinch and rip the grass off. And they can be unthrifty because of this if they are pastured animal.

X2.

My parrot mouthed ewe will be three years old next month. She has been able to maintain her condition on pasture (her BCS is a 4 right now), but once she can't anymore, she will be culled. She is my favorite ewe, so I hope that doesn't happen anytime soon.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
SheepGirl said:
20kidsonhill said:

X2.

My parrot mouthed ewe will be three years old next month. She has been able to maintain her condition on pasture (her BCS is a 4 right now), but once she can't anymore, she will be culled. She is my favorite ewe, so I hope that doesn't happen anytime soon.
I am assuming she has lambed, have you gotten any parrot mouth lambs from her?

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
She was bred as a ewe lamb and she had a single ram lamb when she was ~14 months old. She was accidentally bred by her twin brother (thought he was castrated...but he wasn't...he didn't even act "rammy" so we were never suspicious), and the lamb didn't last more than a day. I can't remember if he was parrot mouthed or not, but I do remember that he had really low pasterns...so in addition to being inbred, I also think he had a lack of selenium...three out of the four inbred lambs born in 2010 died, all of similar symptoms (except one ewe lamb--she was stillborn). All the other lambs that my ram sired survived, so IDK :hu

Because my neighbor's moving, he didn't breed anyone for a 2011 lambing nor was anyone supposed to be bred for a 2012 lambing (except I think that my ram bred his mother since he went through the fence while she was in heat. :rolleyes:) so I probably won't be getting any more lambs from her until next year...if I get a new ram. So hopefully I can see if she throws solid mouthed or parrot mouthed lambs. Her dam is solid mouthed and I'm pretty sure her sire was solid, too...but in the pictures I have of him, he's facing me, so I can't really tell or double check what I remember lol But she does have the genetics for solid mouths somewhere in her so I would expect her to throw solid mouths.

honeyb12

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Can it affect a nursing kid or one that is bottle fed? I have a buckling that I cannot get him to suck on the bottle..he mouths it and play with it and cries alot..he also makes a grinding sound..its very frustrating trying to feed him. He was taken away from his mother because the previous owner said he wasnt nursing like he should and she was worried he wouldnt make it and she didnt have the time to feed him..he is 7 days old today..seems to be doing ok..but dont know how as little as he eats.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
honeyb12 said:
Can it affect a nursing kid or one that is bottle fed? I have a buckling that I cannot get him to suck on the bottle..he mouths it and play with it and cries alot..he also makes a grinding sound..its very frustrating trying to feed him. He was taken away from his mother because the previous owner said he wasnt nursing like he should and she was worried he wouldnt make it and she didnt have the time to feed him..he is 7 days old today..seems to be doing ok..but dont know how as little as he eats.
It would have to be a pretty obvious gap. Can you tell he is parrot mouthed? But I would think he would be able to suck with his tongue pressed up against the top of his mouth. Did you look at the top of his mouth, the roof, is there any deformities?

I would make the milk that you give him as high calorie as possible, buy using a higher calorie recipee, other than just whole cows milk, substituting out some higher calories, with evaporated milk and maybe a teaspoon of honey in each bottle.

honeyb12

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I dont see anything wrong with his mouth,,but he does have some sharp teeth on the bottom.. how many teeth are they supposed to have at this age? he makes a weird grinding sound also. And he tries to somewhat suck on my finger..Its just a major production trying to feed him..He eats a teeny bit at a time