Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
5690_239.jpg[img]
5690_264.jpg
[/img]

Mike Fronczak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
He is a Highland, as Wild Rose said. He is the first from our "unproven" bull (conceived here) so one item down :). His mom is the one that had the issues with the steer calf (that we had to bottle feed) last year. This little guy has done great ! Second item down. :)......with one issue his 1/2 brother (the bottle steer) was pushing him from mom, & nursing.
Needless to say the steer is now penned in our sorting area getting grained, we tried another pasture first...electric fence didn't keep him from doing what he wanted, the sorting area is the only area we have fenced with a "physical fence", (roughly 4-5', wood).When we have to utilized the sorting area we put him in a horse stall in the attached barn & shut the door, he has now taken to jumping the stall wall. Yesterday he wedged his head under the door in the mud trying to get out he didn't get stuck thankfully... It was quite a site, I believe in natures "survival of the fittest rule" more & more each day. He's only around because of all our efforts a year ago, tubing electolytes, forced feedings, etc.

Mike Fronczak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My wife says the new little guy isn't making things easier on his brother, he reminds her of our kids teasing his older brother.
She watch the little guy walk under the MIG fence stroll over to the gate where his brother is with milk dripping off his chin, stroll around in front of the gate, she says she swears he shook his butt in his brothers face a couple times.....then he noticed her and ran back to his mom.

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Don't know if I'm more impressed by how cute that calf is or how cool the photo looks with the horned shadow looming! (Nice pasture, too!) Congratulations!

Mike Fronczak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Upon further inspection....he is a girl. We have a second calf now another girl as well.