Purebred or crossbred rabbits?

mountainrabbits

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
When starting a rabbitry with the intent of producing meat rabbits, but also being interested in showing...which is better; purebred rabbits or crossbreed mixes? What is your opinion/personal experience? What did you start out with? Which have you had the most success with selling as meat rabbits to others? Or for your own personal uses? I'm currently being faced with a conundrum of purebred, crossbred, or both? Everyone in my area has mixed breed rabbits-with a little of everything thrown in it seems-lionhead, dutch, californian and flemish giant mixes being fairly common (really who threw those rabbits together and sold them? how did they sell them?). What do you guys think?

Lorelai

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, we're raising purely for meat value, but we started with a breeding pair of purebred New Zealand Whites, as well as a breeding pair of purebred Californians. That way we have the option of making purebred or crossbred babies. I have a feeling that the crossbreeds will be best for meat rabbits based on how quickly they grow and how much they eat, but if we want to sell some as breeding stock, then purebred will be a better bet. But that's just our theory... we're too new at this to be "sure" about it. Does that help at all? :)

mountainrabbits

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you Lorelai! That does actually help me :) Right now I have a New Zealand/Californian cross buck, and my Fiance brought home a Satin/Lop mix doe. But I am getting a purebred Jr NZ Blue Buck and a Sr NZ White doe in February from Moonfire Rabbitry and possibly some does from another breeder I've been talking to. I'm very exited about all this :D my family thinks I'm obsessed!

Hooligan Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
mountainrabbits said:
Thank you Lorelai! That does actually help me :) Right now I have a New Zealand/Californian cross buck, and my Fiance brought home a Satin/Lop mix doe. But I am getting a purebred Jr NZ Blue Buck and a Sr NZ White doe in February from Moonfire Rabbitry and possibly some does from another breeder I've been talking to. I'm very exited about all this :D my family thinks I'm obsessed!
My family thought I was crazy at first but are slowly coming around. I'm new to this and I'm doing NZ/Rex crosses. Its just for me mainly but I have ppl interested in buying rabbits from me. I guess it all comes down to what you want and how much you really want to sell.

mountainrabbits

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
NZ/Rex crosses? Do you like them? The lady I'm getting my NZ buck and doe from has some NZ/Rex crosses, she told me her original crossed doe is an amazing mother and has really improved her meat production and offered me one of her daughters (so a 25% Rex 75% NZ) but I wasn't sure if it was a good mix. I hadn't heard of it being that common so I really don't know what to expect production wise. Have you had good experiences with them?

Hooligan Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
mountainrabbits said:
NZ/Rex crosses? Do you like them? The lady I'm getting my NZ buck and doe from has some NZ/Rex crosses, she told me her original crossed doe is an amazing mother and has really improved her meat production and offered me one of her daughters (so a 25% Rex 75% NZ) but I wasn't sure if it was a good mix. I hadn't heard of it being that common so I really don't know what to expect production wise. Have you had good experiences with them?
Like I said I'm just starting out but so far so good. Along with a couple other people I started a grow out thread on BYC. They'll be a comparison between crosses and some other pure breds.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=432134

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are interested in showing, you will have to have purebred something to show. While most of the larger breeds are considered commercial in type, there is enough difference in some breeds that a cross between that breed and something else would be too far off from the standard to do well on a show table.

mountainrabbits

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Bunnylady said:
If you are interested in showing, you will have to have purebred something to show. While most of the larger breeds are considered commercial in type, there is enough difference in some breeds that a cross between that breed and something else would be too far off from the standard to do well on a show table.
That is what I thought, I can't imagine getting rid of my two crossbred rabbits-the buck is mine and has such a sweet loving personality everyone in my family loves him and they aren't big on rabbits-and the doe...well she has personality alright! My Fiance brought her home as his baby, she isn't nearly as sweet as my buck...But as far as I understood it if I wanted to show it had to be a purebred rabbit with a 4-6 generation pedigree. Do they also have to be registered?

mountainrabbits

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you for the link to byc Hooligan! I had never been there and I must say your rabbits are gorgeous! Those spotted babies are so flashy! The only NZ/Rex cross rabbits I have seen before was an agouti doe and her opal daughter and while they are pretty they didn't look as good as yours!

Hooligan Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
mountainrabbits said:
Thank you for the link to byc Hooligan! I had never been there and I must say your rabbits are gorgeous! Those spotted babies are so flashy! The only NZ/Rex cross rabbits I have seen before was an agouti doe and her opal daughter and while they are pretty they didn't look as good as yours!
Thank you.... I was shocked by all the colors. Even my 7wk litter from another doe and buck, I think are cool. Though they look black in the pic, up close and in the light they are a really dark grey. One thing I did notice with the spotted ones is that they are the smaller ones but the smallest one is the ring leader and gets everyone to jump out the nest box